Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DAWs Cubase VST Connect / Performer

• This topic has 8 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Nathan Kaye.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Feeney
    Participant

Attempted a tracking session today with my instructor/producer. He is on Cubase Pro 8 using VST Connect and I was using VST Performer. Both on very capable computers with very good, wired Internet connections.

Everything worked well except when he attempted to play a reference track from his end and record my guitar, VST Performer on my end would freeze after 12 bars or so and the subsequent audio from him would be garbled. I would have to close VST-P and reconnect. We tried like 5 times. The only indicator I got is when we started each time I'd get a Windows 8.1 message about my video card driver compatibility?

Very disappointing session. I was hoping to track guitar today. With all the crashes, all we did was go over the song, a few riffs, do a few play throughs and then VST Performer would freeze on my end. Plus, it was odd tracking to the reference track as I couldn't hear it well enough.

Also, we spent about 1 1/2 hours together. In my mind, nothing got done. We agreed I'd track on my own and send the stems. I feel like we really did not have a productive session and I should at most pay for 1/2. But he is a good friend. Ugh. Frustrating all around.

He recently moved and I was hoping this remote setup would work, but I don't know.

• This topic was modified 8 years ago by Christopher Feeney.
      Christopher Feeney
      Participant

Would any Cubase Pro 8 users be willing to connect with me via VST Performer and help me figure this out/test? May be worth your time if you have never used VST Connect on your end and wonder if it is something that benefits your shop? Win win? Let me know.

Nathan Kaye
        Participant

Sure mate. I'll help out. I'm on Cubase Pro 8.

Christopher Feeney
          Participant

Thanks mate! I'll take you up on that. Busy with work now, but I'll shoot you email when ready.

Have you successfully used VST Connect and VST Performer?

Christopher Feeney
            Participant

I'm ready when you are. Let's throw some dates around. I am in North Carolina, USA. So are we 10 hours difference?

Nathan Kaye
              Participant

Oh, hey @Christopher ! I have been on tour so I only just saw this. Sorry mate!
                Perhaps sometime this week?

Christopher Feeney
                Participant

No issues mate. I've been on holiday myself.

But funny, or not so, I worked with my instructor/producer two hours last week - on trying to get VST Transit to work this time. UGH! I spend more time on technology than music! My learning curve and passion are slipping.

One issue was our fault for not reading instructions clearly. In VST Transit, for a friend to edit your uploaded project tracks, they have to duplicate them first.

The other issue was my MIDI and tempo track didn't seem to transfer. I mean, if you can't share an exact copy of the project, why bother? (I do understand not being able to share plug-ins.)

So now I have wasted time and money on VST Performer and VST Transit.

But, yes, I am eager to have help getting VST Performer working.

Nathan Kaye
                  Participant

Ok mate. I've just upgraded to Cubase Pro 8.5 (they have a 40% off deal going). I don't yet know if that'll make a difference. My guess is that it'll all be mostly dependent upon internet speeds. Australia has slow internet for a first world country.
                    How do you wish to go forward with this?
                    What's your Facebook name? It'll be quick response time via that.

Nathan Kaye
                    Participant
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.