Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Academy Lesson Suggestions Volume Automation

Tagged: , ,

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Tobi.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tobi
    Keymaster

An in depth video into Volume Automation would be really useful :

At what stage of the mix do people like to start working on Volume Automation?

Do they use the dreaded elastic bands or a VCA fader, or DAW controller etc?

How does its effect differ from compression? Do people like to use the two together? If so, do they Automate first and then compress or vice versa, or a mixture of both?

Do they automate a track with all the other tracks playing, a selection of 'relevant' tracks, or with the track in 'solo'?

Do people like to automate single tracks, groups of tracks together (via linking, a group bus or FX bus), or a combination?

Are there particular instruments / styles of music etc that tend to require more automation?

Tobi
      Keymaster

I've started using very basic Volume Automation and I'm amazed how much simple, 1db changes in volume will bring out hitherto hidden gems within the song 🙂 I'm keen to learn more!

Cris Sabater Sabater
        Participant

Hi tobybeaglebutler, Volume automation as well as any other parameters automated can make a huge difference to a mix. A neat trick is to automate the chorus by +1db and the final chorus/outro +1 1/2 db. It builds the tension and is actually something a lot of mastering engineers do myself included. If you have VCA faders they are great for sections to be automated. There are also different types of automation such as clip gain which can actually be done while editing at the early stages of a mix. The use of this is that you don't need to compress as hard if the tracks are particularly dynamic in nature. This is something I do a lot for instruments like Bass Guitar. Sometimes the parts are not played so evenly and instead of going in with loads of compression I will cut each note and clip gain it so that it has a better level. I tend to use Waves Vocal Rider for Vocals automating the plugin on it's own channel thus leaving the track fader at unity gain and available for any further automation. These are just some of the things I will do during each mix I take on.

Cheers mate,

Cris

Domino
          Participant

I kinda think that as soon as I move the first fader I'm working on volume automation. Sometimes that automation is just one static level, sometimes it's note (or smaller) specific. So I'd be more interested in the reverse side of the first question, and that's how to tell when it's time to stop working on it.

I'll copy paste your questions so I can add to each.. Mostly to avoid "It depends" answers 🙂

"Do they use the dreaded elastic bands or a VCA fader, or DAW controller etc?"

What options are available for volume automation and are there particular scenarios where one would be a better choice than the others?

"How does its effect differ from compression? Do people like to use the two together? If so, do they Automate first and then compress or vice versa, or a mixture of both?"

I tend to use clip gain for automation, before any compression. On a song I'm currently working on the vocal is very dynamic and I wanted to keep that. Towards the end of the mix I decided intro vocals needed to come down. They no longer were at the right level for compression and peaks became a problem. I learned a lesson there and will probably use a mixture of both in future. So my questions would be "What are the advantages and disadvantages of automating volume before or after compression?" and "When is compression a better choice than level automation, or vice versa?"

"Do they automate a track with all the other tracks playing, a selection of ‘relevant’ tracks, or with the track in ‘solo’?"

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to automating a track with all the other tracks playing, a selection of ‘relevant’ tracks, or with the track in ‘solo’?

Do people like to automate single tracks, groups of tracks together (via linking, a group bus or FX bus), or a combination?

What circumstances would lead to you choosing to automate a group of tracks or even a full mix over a single track?

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Domino.
            Tobi
            Keymaster

Cris,

Thanks for the response and the tips! Really like the idea of using Waves Vocal Rider on it's own channel. I have the Vocal Rider, so I'm going to give that a go. Your point about the different types of Automation, really helped clear things up in my head. Lots to think about and try out - thanks again!

Tobi
              Keymaster

Domino,

Thanks for the reply. Great follow up questions to my own, really expanded the conversion into the 'why' you'd Automate one way or the other , or not at all - interesting stuff!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.