Academy Dashboard Forum Production Analog Recording Using a Revox to process a digital mix.

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Steve A.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mark Warner
    Participant

Hi

I have A Revox A77 7.5/15 IPS in good order. It has been suggested to me that it might be possible to use it process a mix to add some analogue warmth. Anyone have any knowledge about how this might be done. I don't want to spend time recording to tape and re transferring but might there be a way to pass the signal through?
      Cheers Mark

Mark Warner
      Participant

Update : I found my Revox A-77 manual. It says that monitoring can be done both pre and post tape. So a stereo signal can be sent the to the Revox and returned directly via the amplifier or first to tape and the the amplifier and back to my DAW so I am going to experiment and see if this form of processing produces any good results. It was an idea I got watching one of Warren's videos in which he mentions recording and/or summing via his tape machine.

Arthur Labus

We help wherever we can 😉

Mark Warner
          Participant

It was a long shot 😉 (If you know this expression?)

I guess not many people still have 60's/70's analogue equipment still in use 🙂

Warren Huart
            Keymaster

Hi Mark, did you try it yet? Joe Zook takes the drums before he mixes and dumps them onto a 2inch 24 Track! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Mark Warner
              Participant

Not yet Warren,

I will try a test going through the AMP only shortly but I need to get hold of some new 1/4 tape from Ebay to test the monitor via tape function as I don't have enough unused tape currently to do this. I will certainly post and update when I have though.

Cheers - Mark

Warren Huart
                Keymaster

Hi Mark, great stuff! I'll be intrigued to hear what you think. Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Mark Warner
                  Participant

Hi Warren,

I have completed a test. Using a mix I tested 1. Via the Revox tape amp alone and 2. onto tape and then picking up the tape monitor and out via the amp.

1. Amp alone - I noticed a roll off of below 50 Hz and some roll off in the high frequency range which I could quite pin point

2. Tape monitor via amp - The low end roll off increased to below 90-100Hz. Top end stayed roughly the same with some high end roll off and there was a low mid boost around 100 - 220/250Hz

I didn't push the signal too much as the difference between being clean and distorting was a very fine thing. I used an Ex BBC reel of Ampex 406 mastering tape for the test.

I am not sure I would use this on a master mix like this, however I will also test recording via the tape monitor to see what that might do instruments.

I believe I could get a similar more controllable result though sending the signal via my ART MPA PRO II tube preamp which also has line-in and variable impedance. I can control that very well and get a touch of distortion without everything falling apart.

Cheers - Mark

PS - In past times I would have been using a pair of multi channel DBX compressor/exanders between the desk and the tape machine which always worked seamlessly so I never noticed too much difference between the recorded and played back signals so this is a first for me, putting an untreated signal onto tape and pulling it off again.

Steve A
                    Participant

Wow, very interesting... that is all...Carry on gents....

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.