Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DAWs Logic Updating to Big Sur - Have you done it?

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Pete Sawchuk.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David Emmins
    Participant

Hi all Logic Users.

It looks like all the major Plugin makers have confirmed compatibility with Big Sur with Soundtoys being the latest to verify theirs.

I should be OK to go ahead with updating as far as I can tell (I will have a full backup just in case!) but wanted to hear of your experiences in this area. I'm running an Intel Mac and not an M1.

face (chris) Janton
      Participant

My studio iMac (2019) continues to run Catalina, and I won't be moving it to Big Sur any time soon, even if my 3rd parties say they are ready (iZotope, IK Multimedia, Toontrack)

My new laptop is an M1 MacBook Air which is only running Logic at the moment with some experimenting with Harrison MixBus32c. I probably won't move the iMac until everything I want to use works on the laptop

The seriously missing part is the Dante Virtual Soundcard which I use to connect all of my Macs together in the studio. My eventual goal is to get a Focusrite Rednet X2P so I can record and playback in any room of my house - 100 meters of CAT5 can easily be run from my studio switch (POE ports) to any room...even get the power I need.

Guido tum Suden
        Keymaster

Hi David,

I will probably go for Big Sur in the next two weeks and so skip Catalina. Too many apps can no longer run their latest version on Mojave.
          Mainly using Plugin Alliance plugins I'm not too concerned.
          But I will have to check on hardware compatibility.
          My Focusrite 8PreX shouldn't be a problem, but what about my MOTU 8pre Firewire? Will the Unitor 8 work? If not, that will be a real problem.

Guido

Wes Chilton
          Participant

I'm going to stay on Catalina for some time... I have too much outboard gear that is the OS is already warning me about future compatibility to risk it. MOTU, UA, Some Roland synths.

David Emmins
            Participant

I updated to Big Sur 3 weeks ago after putting it off.  All is fine - just a pain as I had to do a complete fresh rebuild as something had become corrupted with the iLok Licence Manager on Catalina and was unable to update that or the Soundtoys plugs.  Apart from having to setup Logic to run in the same way (thankfully I had taken screenshots of various preference pages!) and the time it took to download all the software again it all went to plan. The systems and logic are stable (well as much it ever is!).  I only have an SSL2 interface used to control my monitors as I only mix and master and don't record and that is compatible with Big Sur since last year so no issues there either.

However, this will be the last update to the OS I will do apart from incremental releases to Big Sur as I'm running on a 2015 MacBook Pro so it's being stretched to capacity by the time a mix is nearing completion anyway.  Keeping an eye on the M1 line and may go that route later this year depending on finances.

Pete Sawchuk
              Participant

I've held off updating from Catalina thus far but have been rechecking compatibilities monthly & am due for another one. Though I use Logic, I've also been slowly learning Pro Tools & their incompatibility with Big Sur has been an automatic check on moving forward. Gonna look again today though...hope springs eternal!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.