Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Competitions (Mixing, Songwriting, etc.) “Turning Point” by Dark Times Collaboration. Mixed by Bob Low

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Eric Gonzalez.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bob Low
    Participant

“Turning Point” by Dark Times Collaboration. Mixed by Bob Low

My updated version after some great feedback.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y7ugbKUTGFE4qq959S9GPFmZbAv-Q0e3/view?usp=sharing

• This topic was modified 3 years ago by Bob Low.
      • This topic was modified 3 years ago by Bob Low.
      Bob Low
      Participant

Hello dearest PLAPers,

Here is my submission for the metal mixing contest.  This was my first attempt at mixing metal since 1993, mixing my own band at the time Bloodstorm from ADAT to DAT master (https://bloodstorm1993.bandcamp.com/).  Since those glory days of extreme metal, things have changed immensely.   I can't say that I have listened to much of the latest stuff, (except for Gultalax and Infant Annihilator) but that now will change.  I have no hope of winning the contest so any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

As for the mix, I decided to get informed and did the Mixing Modern Metal with Jordan Valeroite course.  Snare and Kicks samples were from the course as well as some from the Kristian Kohle sample pack.  I went with the SSL in the box mentality using the Brainworx flavor.  I used the guitar DIs through the Omega Ampworks Granophyre for the heavy sounds and the Archetype Nolly for the chorus tones.  Lots of extra saturation with the Slate Hollywood and New York preamps in series. There was so much compression and limiting of every Instrument Aux  I ended up with nothing on the 2-Buss except for a Dangerous Bax eq clearing at 24Hz and 70K.  All buss compression, eq, and maximization was done in Ozone 9.

Best,

Bob

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Bob Low.
        Matthew Jones
        Participant

your snare sound is killer, Bob! those guitars are all manner of gnarly too! the only thing that grabbed my ear in a less exciting manner was the rest of the track around Phantom's vocal seemed to fold into a much narrower/mono'er mix than the rest of the sections. I may be mischaracterizing it, but something in those sections. love that wild rhythm you chopped up for the chord that hangs into the first verse.

Alexey Tereshonok
          Participant

Absolutely fantastic Bob! Really dig this snare, guitars and vocals!!! Kick may have a little too much of 2.5k though - cuts almost too much there at times.

Bob Low
            Participant

Hey Matthew, Thank you so much for your kind words! It was super fun to use DI guitars and see how far I could push them, i think amps may be unnecessary in the future.  Yea, I had issues with the chorus sections.  Working on an update...

Bob Low
              Participant

Hey Alexey,  Thank you for your feedback!  Agreed,  the new version will address the kick.

-Bob

Eric Gonzalez
                Participant

Hey Bob! Unfortunately the mix competition tracks are not allowed for Feedback Friday. Possibly at a later time we may allow them. If you've got another multitrack thats allowed for FF send it my way to [email protected] and I'll get you in!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.