Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Studio Building / Acoustics Turn 'problematic room' into a recording space

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Ben Seghers.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ralph Bayer
    Participant

Hello all,

I have a hobby room that I would like to improve acoustically as much as possible, so that I can make recordings (acoustic guitars, maybe vocals) in it.
      In the field of acoustics I am practically a beginner, but I theoretically digged a bit into this topic already and thought of a first concept.

Unfortunately, the room is not ideal. It has a coffering (which is basically a hollow space in which there are heating pipes) on the ceiling, which I as a tenant am not allowed to treat, because this coffering unfortunately consists of asbestos. However it was made sure that this coffering is sealed tight, so nothing happens as long as i dont mess arround with it. Therefore, this may not simply be removed/treated. I know its not the best room, but unfortunately the only one i can effort currently. I figured its better to have an imperfect room, than doing no recording at all.

Originally I had once considered to use the room possibly for mixing, but because of this hollow box I will probably not be able to achieve a linear frequency response, because it is likely to resonate in low frequencies, right?

I would be very happy if the more expierenced could give me some opinions or even tipps.

Untreated Room:

Hobbyroom_raw

1. Concept - Floor View

Floor View

1. Concept - Ceilling View

Ceilling View

For the absorbtion currently i plan to use basotect foam. For the diffusor i have not a concrete idea right now.

The floor under the carpet is made out of coork.

Thanks in advance!

cheers,
      Ralph

• This topic was modified 2 years ago by Ralph Bayer. Reason: Corrections
      Siobhan Ellis
      Participant

Hi Ralph, have you tried contacting your landlord about it? I’m pretty sure that if you were willing to pay for a licensed asbestos removal contractor and paid for it yourself that your landlord would probably jump at the chance. Talk to your landlord, make it as easy for them as possible, link to the licensed firm you have obtained a quote from so they can easily check out the firm and their liability insurance provision. I imagine that if they have disclosed the presence of asbestos to insurers that it limits your landlord’s options for property owners insurance and property owners liability specifically. If you pay to remove it you would probably be doing them a favour since it might even reduce their insurance premiums slightly. Others on here might have an alternative solution maybe, but Asbestos is nasty stuff, it’s best not to disturb it in an way just in case.

Donald MacTavish
        Participant

Hi,

Just about any room can be used for recording and mixing as long as it is treated properly.  Asbestos is nasty stuff and in general very expensive to remediate. There are lots of DIY examples of free standing vocal and recording booths.  A good solution Can be created with sound absorbing blankets for the AV industry, they are basically moving blankets.  I suggest you get the free app REW (Room EQ Wizard) and invest in a calibrated mic (under $100) to understand your room and any issues.  Lots on YouTube regarding acoustic treatment and I Suggest “Acoustics Insider”, very smart host.  Try to avoid corners for your desk and ultimately try to find the optimal location in the room.  Hope this helps.

Prost!

Ben Seghers
          Participant

A square space is the least ideal. I almost have that too. don't put all that absorption all at once you're going to take away too many high frequencies. Start measuring without placing anything in the space. Take it easy and start with headphones if necessary. I also used my HD650 headphones as a reference for the sound I heard on my hotspot. good luck!

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Ben Seghers.
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.