Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Tuning Drum-Sounds

Tagged: 

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Warren Huart.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Hemke Kay
    Participant

Hey guys,

And here is my first question to you:
      I've often heard that tuning drums (mostly kick and perhaps snare) to the key of the song can enhance the whole mix very much.

I would like to know if you guys are tuning your drums and if you do, how you do it.

Is it okay to just take autotune oder melodyne and set up the key of the song or do I have to do it with an EQ and cut/boost different frequencies to feature the song related frequencies?

I'm excited how you guys are doing it 🙂

BTW, I'm using Logic as my DAW.

Cris Sabater Sabater
      Participant

Hi hemkekay, I don't really tune drums as such although if it is EDM then I might. If you have a drum synth you could tune that way which is the best and easiest way but you could also use EQ. You could also use a noise generator and have it duck via a compressor tuning the noise to the frequency you want. Check out YouTube and you will find loads of different examples.

Cheers mate,

Cris

Arthur Labus

Maybe that free plugin could be helpful ?

http://blackroosteraudio.com/products/item/canary.html

Warren Huart
          Keymaster

I just saw this! A little late to the party! I have worked with many Producers that tune the snare to the song, sometimes it's fantastic! There definitely is not a rule, but try it, on a ballad it can be quite amazing! Happy New Year! Have a marvellous time recording, many thanks Warren

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.