Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DAWs Studio One Transient Shaper/Designer

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Malcolm Middleton.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mark Holden
    Participant

Hello

Studio one does not have a Transient Shaper/Designer as such but the Presonus site shows how to do this with the stock compressor. I have tried this and in one instance I can hear well what its doing, but sometimes I struggle to get a result.

So, I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has a bit more experience with this (As Warren is always getting out his SPL) and can say what they have found using the compression technique over a dedicated Shaper/Designer?

The link to Presonus's technique

http://blog.presonus.com/index.php/2018/10/26/friday-tips-studio-ones-transient-shaper-kick-snare

Thanks
      Mark Holden

Just Lisa
      Participant

As promised, a couple of links to info about using stock compressors for transient shaping. I read the blog -- I think these will help a lot. It's just such a tricky thing to learn to hear! I still have trouble with it. And while I do like the Waves Smack Attack and the SPL Transient plug ins (they take some of the guess work out of the users hands, I think) I have found the Waves H-Comp is the go-to one for me for most things! Why? Because somehow, the act of dialing it in happens in a way that I can hear and see and feel at the same time and it's really just a gut kind of thing.
        And I hate it that I have to say it that way because I would have slapped anyone who said that to me last year.
        Be persistent: you will get it and then never think about it again, and you will find the one that works for you and then you will wonder why it was ever an issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb2sZkcke4U&list=PLcxxpJeBVNQ7zOS5B2siju7oanbW56iZq
        Link to a playlist of Bobby Owskinski videos. I'm not saying 'do this' but I found it all very informative when I needed to be spoon fed some basics last year. I was climbing the learning curves of my DAW (didn't know how to use a 'real' DAW, didn't know the Studio One software), Mixing concepts in general (what's a compressor? when do I use one? how do I set one up? What's an EQ? etc.), and how to put all that stuff together to get a track that anyone would actually want to listen to. (Still working on it all, of course, but way less stressed about it now.)
        Everywhere in the Compression videos, Bobby addresses transient issues and uses stock plug ins (Pro Tools).

Also, Phil Allen's EQ and Compression course videos (Pro Mix Academy) -- there's tracks for a little ditty I call "The Newb Loop" where he takes you through setting up a stock compressor in excruciating detail. It includes talking about transient shaping!

While we're on the subject of compression (after today's livestream (jan. 5, mix breakdown of The Ditty Song)), here's a link to the "real new york city compression trick" video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muzh3TBbbIM
        I confess I still have an NYC BUS in my template. I send individual tracks to it that feel kind of thin, kick and bass, maybe snare, but usually not, never anything with cymbals. I do send recorded piano, never organ or synths. I have it set up with a stock compressor and a pro-eq just like in the video. I don't blend in much, but just a bit for something 'solid' I do have the high end boost because I find that I always mix too dark and that's one way of making sure that the highs still have some support from underneath, somehow, it's kind of a vague feeling that it's the right thing to do.

Mark Holden
        Participant

Hello Lisa

Thanks having a watch over my morning coffee 🙂

Yes all helpful going over things from more than one source helps it sink in. I did buy Joe Gilder's EQ an Compression a good while back I should re-watch those as I found the compression one useful when I first opened up my DAW.

Probably just being a little obsessive these last few days so just not hearing what changes I'm making, everything starting to blur.

I think after trying the sonar works demo I'll by getting that next, as I maybe trying change things that simply don't need it hence the hours exploring rabbit holes.

Thanks again

Mark Holden

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Mark Holden.
          • This reply was modified 5 years ago by Mark Holden.
          Malcolm Middleton
          Participant

I use Softube's superb Transient Shaper and right now it's on offer at £35 in their summer sale.   https://www.softube.com/summer-sale

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Malcolm Middleton.
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.