Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mastering Top-notch emulations?

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Steve A.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steve A
    Participant

Hi folks.
      I was wondering, could any of you mastering engineers possibly give examples of software that is within a few percentage points... (or).. on par with their hardware counterparts? Let me briefly explain my situation:

I am currently trying to build up an arsenal of software that could be used by an amatuer such as myself ..to master things that don't require big, (and out of my price-range) racks of gear. For example: Band "A" that cannot afford mastering services, would like their demo/EP to "sound like a record". (Boy ...I've never heard THAT before.. HA!)

There is a dizzying amount of offerings out there, but frankly, it can be mind boggling at times to make a decision.
      Plus, all of this software is usually non-refundable once purchased, and the demos are usually too short to really discover it's full potential.
      Side note: I recently purchased a UAD Quad preamp and satellite, and find that the plugins, while pricey, are quite a bit better than offerings from 'brand x' plugins for the most part ...etc.

Could you possibly share your opinion about software emulations that you think come surprisingly close to said renowned analog gear that's been used throughout the years to make records?

BTW, I'm hoping that information of this import could be elaborated upon within the confines of a paid subscription model, such as the one Warren has set up here...

Cheers
      -Steve

Jared Sherman
      Participant

I am a big fan of Softube and Plugin Alliance for emulations. The Softube FET Compressor is brilliant, as is their Summit Grand Channel. From Plugin Alliance I am a big fan of all the Elysia and Vertigo emulations. I am also a big fan of McDSP though they don't typically do the straight up emulations that some other companies do. I also have the Slate Digital stuff and that is also very good. I do not have a UAD system so I cannot make the direct comparison to that, but I would imagine that its software would have a lot of trouble being much greater than the companies I just mentioned, simply because the software I just mentioned is already so good (and in fact there is even some overlap there as Softube and Plugin Alliance both develop for UAD).

I would say that a lot of stuff out there isn't necessarily so much better or worse than many other alternatives - you can get the job done with a lot of different tools. Just get what tools you need for what your budget can fit and make music!

P.S. Softube, PA, and McDSP all have very good demo offers for you to try them out.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Jared Sherman.
        Magnus Johansson
        Participant

I started building my software arsenal just a couple of years ago. After I completed the Waves API bundle just some weeks ago I don´t know what to get next. I have got all the tools I want and more. I highly suggest you make a list what types of tools you want. Demo, demo, demo and make a list of those that you find the best. Save up money so that you can buy the plugins when they are on sale. So far Waves has had more than 180 offerings this year with an average of 59% off. (yes I have them listed! I´m lost, beyond saving:D) Don´t buy plugins paying suggested retail price. Most software houses do heavy sales. There are some exceptions that do very little. What comes to mind first is Klanghelm, ValhallaDSP, Celemony (Melodyne) and FabFilter. There are ways to get Melodyne cheap as well. Klanghelm and Valhalla has very fair pricing. Fabfilter usually has 25% off of bundles once, maybe twice a year. Usually around summer vacation.
          Enter all the mailing lists, follow their social media. Sales are everywhere. Visit/join AudioDeluxe and plugindiscounts. The Klanghelm MJUC compressor is probably the only plugin I have paid full price, and I happily did.

Jared Sherman
          Participant

There are several companies where they never have sales,like Spectrasonics, and some you won't be able to get any MSRP discounts at all, like DMGAudio. I wouldn't say that is reason to not buy from them. That said, I would definitely not ever buy Waves at MSRP, if something is not currently on sale you can sometimes find what you are looking for at a great price on eBay (I have had personal good experience going this route too).

Steve A
            Participant

*taking notes* thanks btw...

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.