Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Toms Down Trick

Tagged: 

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by simonbest.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tony Harp
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Can someone explain or point me to the video that explains the Toms Down Trick that Warren mentions quite often? I know he said he has demonstrated it in the past but I can't seem to find the video that includes that subject. I"m sure its a simple move but I'd like to get his explanation. Or, if anyone can give me the basics I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!!

Patrick Schindler
      Participant

It's just manually turning down the the toms when they are not playing, by using clip gain, automation or similar. Somewhere between -12dB and -24dB seems to do the trick for me. There's no hard and fast rules of course - whatever sounds good to you.

Warren Huart
        Keymaster

Hi Tony, yes, Patrick explained it pretty perfectly! I stole the trick from Mark Endert, he brings it down around -18db and when compression and EQ is applied the bleed is still evident but it's balanced well with the tom hits. Also the trick I do at the end of songs where I will apply eq to the tail of a sustaining guitar to bring down the high frequency buzz etc can be applied to the end of toms if the decay is going into a cymbal hit etc. I hope that all makes sense? Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Tony Harp
          Participant

Sweet!
            Thanks gentlemen!

I suspected it might be simple like that, but I didn't want to miss any magical moves I've never heard of. 🙂 And thanks Warren, for the EQ tip about the decays. It makes complete sense and I can see the advantage.

Cheers!!

simonbest
            Participant

I watched a video recently, not sure if it was here. In this case Strip silence was used on the tom tracks, but the trick would be separating the part of the clip that contains the decay and render it with an audiosuite low pass filter eq to hide away the cymbal bleed.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by simonbest.
            Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.