Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DAWs Cubase Tempo Detection

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Christopher Feeney.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Feeney
    Participant

Cubase Pro 9; Windows 10. I do covers as a hobby. I normally use the song I am going to cover as a reference track.

After I import the reference song on a track and have it start on measure 1, I use Tempo Detection and Analyze the reference track.

Next, I adjust the tempo markers on the tempo track to match the reference song where needed.

Once that is done, I go to the start of the track and change the signature track to 4/4.

Then I go to menu items Audio>Advanced>Set Definition to Tempo. I write the tempo to the project and select all tracks to musical mode.

Well it worked but I made an error I need to understand and avoid on my new project. The reference track, click, and my programed drums and my played bass and guitar tracks were all synced to the reference track and, I guess, it's tempo track. And I was able to do Quantizing to get it all locked to the grid.

But later I discovered they were all syncing to a tempo track that had multiple or various tempo adjustments through out the lenth of the song rather than, what I want, one consistent tempo for the entire song.

What did I do wrong?

Kip
      Participant

you have to toggle off the the tempo then set it to the average tempo you want thats how i do it

Christopher Feeney
        Participant

And I also was told if I did the tempo detection correct/well, and do what you say, and then bounce/replace audio the tempo track will be converted to a constant rate. True?

Last time I set up a project my producer was irritated as while I had detected the right tempo and tracked to it, the tempo track for all my added tracks were indeed synced but to a variable speed master tempo track.

Took him like two hours to figure out how to fix everything.

He was doing something like checking musical mode in the Pool for each track, going back to the editor, then recording a snip at the beginning, merging that with the existing track content and finally bouncing and replacing. The result was a new track with the steady tempo stamped on it. I don't quite understand it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.