Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mastering Stem mix dilemma!

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Kenny Mac.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ozzy
    Participant

Hi all,

My mastering engineer always wants lead vocal and back vocals seperate. So I deliver him reference mix, playback, lead vocal and back vocals.
      But the question is when my master buss has a lot of processing going on and if I bounce the files with them, the end result will be different than the reference mix. If I bypass the master bus, the mix sounds completely different.
      Any advice?

Kenny Mac
      Participant

Hi Ozzy!

Err... question is a month old... but a coincidence... Warren mentioned this just yesterday in FAQ Friday!

Send the mastering engineer the reference that the client has heard / approved, as well as the flat (unprocessed) mix. He said v occasionally a mastering engineer might just tweak the approved mix, if they like it, but giving them a view of the mix the client has approved means they're not working blind.

>>If I bypass the master bus, the mix sounds completely different.
        If you're doing multiband and changing the mix balance, maybe send them the setting? You could create a project with only raw stems, and the same master channel (with settings intact), as well as screenshots?

OT - as I'm sure you're not in this mould - but Warren's advice was "always send people as much as you can, to help them be successful, don't hold things back". It's great advice - I've had some experience trying to drag elements out of the hands of engineers who are paranoid about their IP... so, after a while, I try not to work with those folks, not just because their behaviour is disingenuous, but because the end result (and the customer) always suffers...

Ken

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.