• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Jerry Padier.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    timmymac
    Participant

I got a chance to play around with an SSL 4000 last week. Not for a session, just doing a ribbon mic shootout at a local studio. A friend ran me through the board. Not nearly as complicated as I first thought looking at it; however, we didn't get too deep into the center section or automation. Gotta say it was a lot of fun twiddling real knobs! 🙂 Hope to do a session at the studio sometime soon.

Jared Sherman
      Participant

I got to use an SSL 4080 E quite a bit several years ago when I interned at a pretty nice studio (in case anyone doesn't know, 4000 is the model, the 80 is the number of channels). It was a lot of fun to use for sure. The recall is terrible though; I remember doing recalls of sessions - it took easily over an hour to dial everything back in on that sucker. I did hybrid mixing then in a pretty similar setup to what Warren uses now. We used it for mixing a lot, but we never liked to use the mic preamps on it. The entire console is filled with ICs, which is fine, but that's not generally the best thing for a mic preamp to be completely based on when you want to add a lot of gain. They work fine but when you have other better outboard mic pres to patch in then the outboard options easily win. Regardless, the feel of a big console is definitely an experience that every aspiring audio engineer should experience at least once.

timmymac
        Participant

Here's a photo. Yeah, they have a lot of outboard pres from bae for the mojo.

todnixx
          Participant

Mmm! Niiice! )

Warren Huart
            Keymaster

I do love my SSL! Hard to think of life without it! But one day I may well move on! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

timmymac
              Participant

I just purchased an SSL! Well, not quite. I got the x-desk! ? This little guy can do a lot. I'm wiring it into a patchbay right now to get the most out of it. Looking forward to using it for my small project studio.

Michael
                Participant

yeah....that's a nice desk! what studio where you at?

David
                  Participant
                    Franz Schreiner
                    Participant

Hey y’all. I highly recommend picking up a Softube Console 1. SSL 4000E emulation and Neve Class A console emulation are unbelievable and the Console 1 gives the feel of the board at your fingers. I can’t recommend enough for mixing.

Paul Motion
                      Participant

I was fortunate enough to work on SSL desks E, G & G+ series over 5/6 years in the early 90’s. Back then the recall was all manual but the fader automation was amazing. Not flying faders quite then. An hour to recall a 48 channel desk was pretty good... I actually enjoyed doing it as you got to understand how people significantly more experienced than me got the sounds they did. I’d definitely get the SSL Six I/O if the need arised.....

Jerry Padier
                        Participant

Hey all, We just recently installed a SSL 9000J Console. She is 48 channels of pure bliss. I have been getting things connected and all the outboard gear patched in. I have used a 4000 G+ a while ago but it was already configured so all I did was ADR, vocal overdubs and some commercials all with minimal track counts.

So my question is to those with console experience, What is the best way to set up multiple channels of cue mixes? I will be needing up to 16 outputs for an Aviom headphone mix system. I know I can use the Stereo Cue sends, but this is 2-ch. I do not think I want to use sends from Pro Tools as I am afraid of latency for the musicians. A few guys I work with are super sensitive to latency. Also would like advice on setting up FX sends and Echo returns. The console is super flexible and I know lots of people set it up differently. Just needing some help wrapping my head around things. I am particularly interested in workflow theory. Any advice or suggestions is appreciated. I would be down for call or zoom as well.

Thanks in advance

J-Man

Pro Tools 2022
                          Orion 32+ Gen3
                          SSL 9000J with Atomic Power Supply

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.