Academy Dashboard Forum Production Recording Techniques Sony ECM-50PS - Rode NT5

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Jim Gahagan.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Alex Wilson

After watching the interview with Val Garay I hunted around for a Sony ECM-50PS and just got it UPS today. Since Warren so kindly asked for an audio sample (and I just finished watching his mix break down) I set up to do a quick recording.

There are some things I will need to work on (like the horrible little alligator clip for the mic does not work well at all), so this is really kind of rough. I did not mess with the levels, or EQ at all. My signal chain is the ECM50 to my pre-amp (UA 4-710d) into protools. The second pass is the exact same as the first pass, except with a Rode NT5 aimed towards the lower body away from the sound hole (as Warren has suggested in a couple of his videos).

Steve A
      Participant

I like them both for different reasons, but just listening on my laptop speakers, I said to myself "Yep, that's the sound of those James Taylor records" on the first passage. Now people don't think you can hear well on laptops, but it's nearly all mids and highs, where the sonic 'signature' of things lives, so I politely disagree.
        Thanks for posting, I hadn't seen this or would have replied earlier.

Jim Gahagan
        Participant

you could always clip the sony clip to a shockmount or something to move it around. and I think eq would help a lot. depending on the guitars purpose. solo or in a full band setting. I have a sony ecm-55b. and I was going to record a friend with his bourgeois but I just couldn't find the balls to clip that thing to a $4000.00 guitar. one step on a cable and crack! rip a bite off the top. lol
          I did find Val uses a combo of mics. and he does get into detail on pre and eq settings on each mic.

http://www.valgaray.com/the-val-garay-method-on-recording-guitar-part-i-acoustic/

I like x-y pattern right about where Warren said to put it. and move it east/west around till your likeing. so if you have another NT5 I would try that. then hard pan them.
          Hope this helps

Alex Wilson

Styxer08,

Thanks for the link, I am going to check that out now...

I do have a matched pair of the NT5's with a x-y mount. That is typically the way I record my acoustics prior to hearing this technique. I haven't done any real acoustic recording since picking this up, but I figure I will clip one of these on for additional options without hesitation (although that alligator clip is a big issue for me, and I am still trying to find a good solution).

Alex Wilson

3rdstone,

I just saw your reply here just today... I totally agree, about liking both for different reasons. Warren had commented that the Rode sounded a bit EQ'd to him, which now listening back, I would tend to agree.

I find it interesting that you can pull off laptop speakers. Although, I am fairly sure that I have some hearing loss, as I have a rough time hearing high frequencies, so I have to be a bit careful with my mix's so I don't rip young peoples heads off with too many Highs... Hahahahaha. I would totally agree about the MIDS and Highs, but there is also something to be said for low end on a good system so you can "feel" it...

Thanks for the input!

Jim Gahagan
              Participant

just a thought.... have you tried taking the ecm-50 off the clip and spiral wrap it in foam of some sort and stuff it in a standard sm57 clip? its snowing here right now and tempted to hack into a funnoodle seeings we probably wont have a summer this year lol

Alex Wilson

I haven't tried it with a 57 clip. One thing I have tried since this test is to use the black paper clip things. You know the life hack clip things... So using that to clip onto the guitar kind of worked, but I would really like to have a ball joint to be able to adjust where to point it. It would also be nice to have it able to break away (just in case you should step on the cord and such).

Jim Gahagan
                  Participant

here ya go. better than clipped to the soundhole. 😉

also there is the magic arm w/ 5/8-27 ring adapter they usually come with a vice type clamp on one side t clamp one to a mic stand. but the angles are endless

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.