Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Pro Mix Academy Snake Bit 'My Final Hour' (Mixed by Toby)

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Tobi.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tobi
    Keymaster

This turned into a little odyssey... corrupt project files, Cubase crashed, PC failed, had to restart three times. Spent more time managing problems, than mixing.

Heavily edited the structure. Took part of the breakdown and turned it into an intro. Switched the 1st verse and chorus with the 2nd verse and chorus. Shortened the breakdown considerably and moved it earlier in the song. Added a little rock flourish at the end for the sheer pride, pomp and rock 'n' roll of it.

Still not there yet, buuuut... time to step back for a while.

https://soundcloud.com/toby-davis-925439564/snake-bit-final-hour-mixed-by-toby-pma

Arthur Labus

Never heard it before. I am not in PMA. Not in this life LOL

So i am free .... to judge.

Work on drums. As a drummer ... you know. Ahm, kick drums needs some more "kick". It is great track. Kind Metallica territory. Snare seems to be "out of the drumkit". All cymbals are very "low eq oriented". There is kind very dark cowbell going on - quiet disturbing. Sorry, but whole drum kit sounds like everey instrument were recorded in different studios.
        That scream at 1:41 need improvement - at least kind fading with dry vocals.

Thats my personal point of view so far - if i would heading to kind "metallica territory 🙂
        Maybe all that is intended and i am just wrong person !! 😀

Tobi
        Keymaster

Thanks Arthur! Yeah... big troubles with those drums. Went back today and tried to work things out a little more...

I was going for more of a Velvet Revolver 'Slither' sound than Metallica... but maybe that is too 'diet' 😉

Here's my tidied up version... still not there, but tighter than before :

https://soundcloud.com/toby-davis-925439564/snake-bite-my-final-hour-mixed-by-toby-v2-pma

Arthur Labus

You have PM via Soundcloud 😉

Warren Huart
            Keymaster

Hi Toby, I love the intro! That's really cool, the narrow track! Really gives it somewhere to go, to build! Especially the pitch bend! I think Ulrich's approach was great, he decided the live kick should be unbelievably consistent and he played in a kick sample, my gut is to do that! The post chorus after Chorus One is AMAZING! Reminded me of NIN! Very creative my friend! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Tobi
              Keymaster

Thanks Warren! Glad you like the Intro and the post chorus. Reworked the drums again after this version... haven't uploaded it yet. 'Cos the drums in this version are.... eh... well, they suck - let's face it.

Haven't quite figured out the stops before and after the post chorus - it's too jarring at the moment. I keep having little goes at it, to try to find a solution... probably something really simple that I'm missing at the moment.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and comment - I know you're busy.

Toby.

Tobi
                Keymaster

Look out! Version 3... still a bit ugly in places, but I gotta move onto other things....

https://soundcloud.com/toby-davis-925439564/final-hour-mixed-by-toby-v3

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.