Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DAWs Reaper Side Chaining the master bus

• This topic has 15 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Not_Here.
Viewing 4 posts - 13 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Bonier

Yeah, James & Jason: Thanks to both of you. I'll check it out next time I'm in Reaper.

Not_Here
      Participant

If I may, fellow Reaper users,

Side chaining is awesome on REAPER. It took me a bit to get it in my head. I knew I had it down the first time (all on my own) I figured out how to use and eq to split my track and sent the output of of the eq to a gate which I used to trigger a compressor that was using lp and hp filters. I effectively took a loud snare out of the vocal mic which the drummer was shaking his maraca's into. Leaving a nice even maraca shaker to sit in the drum mix without having a huge bleeding prob with a snare.

So I saw a great discussion on the reaper forum that was posted a fantastic explanation of the routing needed to sidechain ANYTHING.
        Have a look, it's a few posts down in the thread. I'm posting the thread link instead of the individual post, so that there is some context if needed.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=173510

And if you just want the meat without all the bun
        https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=1694480&postcount=12

My original sidechain post.. I was just wanting to confirm I was going about things correctly.
        https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=207754

Dang! enough editing....

Peace!

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Not_Here.
        Patrick Bonier

Interesting use of routing, but not really a sidechain, as I understand it (I could be wrong - I often am.) Kenny recently posted this video on parameter modulation using side chains, which really cleared it up for me.

Here's the link: https://youtu.be/c8IvOCbUo2U

I'd be interested in your comments on it; I found it enlightening and inspiring.

Not_Here
          Participant

HI,
            I love the Kenny Vids! Not to mention his accent sounds a little like Christopher Walken. 🙂

Thanks for reading my post and answering. I appreciate the effort sir.

The difference I see there is what he is doing with the effects (modulating a parameter), but the fundamentals of how a signal is run for example, from a track back to that track (appears to me) via a sidechain (some type of signal processing/attenuation etc..).

I believe the link to my post asking if I was performing a sidechain with the eq, gate, comp, was exactly a sidechain in use on a particular track. Do you see something I'm missing?

But hey, I most certainly am still learning. I just think that there are many functions and configurations of a "sidechain". If we split a signal from its original track and do something with it separate of it's original signal path, then put it back into the path to affect a change, all without having to create a new track, haven't we used a "chain" on the side/parallel to the main signal? similar also is the Kenny vid on Ducking the music for voice over.

This is exactly why, along with the Reaper Forum, that I am going to go through as much of this PLAP info as I can too. I WANT to be good at this... and will be... I hope.. 🙂

Can't wait to try that parameter modulation chain. Of course I'll have to "need" to do that somewhere... But man, that there is some good stuff!

Viewing 4 posts - 13 through 16 (of 16 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.