Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DIY RODE NT1-A

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Peter Brandt.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Peter Brandt
    Participant

Hi,

i have an old and partly broken NT1-A, which I'm going to mod. The thing is, that since I lent it to a former friend, it's missing almost any screws.
      I asked RODE, but they think, that the threads are also broken and offered me a new case and socked. For such a project far more expensive.

Does one of you know, whereelse I could get replacement screws?

Thanks
      Peter

James Gorman
      Participant

This may sounds silly, but the screw shop. When I was fixing up my old scooter (at '71 Lambretta) I needed a bunch of odd things so called a few fasterner stores. They usually sell to tradesmen, machine shops and the like. If you're lucky you find one who'll help out finding the right size screws (and tell you if threads are stripped - if this is the case you'll have a harder time but there are things you can do!).

Peter Brandt
        Participant

Mmh, I'm not sure, that we have such thing close to where I live, but anyway, thanks for the advice.

Another idea, based on what you wrote, would be to make photos with an attached ruler and ask an onlie dealer. Evern if I'd have to buy some different sets.

Funny detail. I bought a second defect RODE NT1-A and it arrived just today. My plan was to use it as a donor body, but it happens to work and is in awesome shape. At least for the first try.

James Gorman
          Participant

Nice one. Always great when things like that turn up!

A couple of things then that will help fixing the first one:

* figure out how many types of screws there are and what their sizes are. You have three dimensions: length diameter and pitch (https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/measuring/tpiandpitch.aspx), along with figuring out if it's metric or imperial (probably metric since they're local to me, but...). You'll need this pitch in addition to the other dimensions to get the right screws. If you're friendly with a mechanic they should have a pitch gauge, though it may not go small enough.

* use the new one to test the threads on the first - if they go in easily with your fingers then you're golden. If they don't go in then there are two possibilities (and you may have both):
            * they are machine screws. The inside of female will look like the inside of machine nut. These will need retapping to the next largest size.
            * they are sheet metal screws. These will have a deeper and longer pitch and go straight into a piece of metal. These can either be tapped as above, or sanded and drilled to accept a larger screw.

Peter Brandt
            Participant

Thanks!

I think, I'll ask RODE another time and if they cannot or won't help, I'll take it to a shop nearby, if I find one.

Cheers
              Peter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.