Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Pro Mix Academy Robert John and the Wreck - Gypsy

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Adam Read.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Adam Read
    Participant

Hey guys here is my mix. I kept with Warren's ideology using no drum samples.. Feel free to criticise.

https://soundcloud.com/bulldozer1984/robert-john-gypsy

• This topic was modified 6 years ago by Adam Read.
      • This topic was modified 6 years ago by Adam Read.
      Just Lisa
      Participant

Hi Adam --
        Critique and criticize are two different things, right? I wouldn't dream of criticizing your efforts -- you've beaten everyone else to the punch with this mix, for one thing.
        A point of critique, however, a taste issue, maybe ...
        These are a bunch of guys in a room playing a good old rock and roll song. For me, there's a bit too much unnatural sounding reverb on your vocals in a few places. Imagine the guys playing a bar gig and give them a slightly warmer sound, like you're right there, too. "Tuck it in" a little, might be the right way to say it?
        : )
        Lisa

Just Lisa
        Participant

Question for Warren: You didn't talk about gain staging in your 'starting from scratch' presentation, so it felt a bit like you started in the middle instead of the beginning. There are so many opinions out there about it. Can you share some thoughts about it now?
          The videos are great. And I really appreciate you showing us how something that isn't 'perfect' is still wonderful. Kind of like Bowie and his 'three takes if you're lucky' approach to creating CLASSICS? I confess, I want to quantize the bass, but I'm not going to.
          : )
          Lisa

Adam Read
          Participant

Ah haha yeh I meant critique.
            Thanks for your criticism of my mix ! I think I just used Warrens effects but I may have added some H-Reverb in there too. Can’t remember..

But I appreciate the critique and take it on board

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.