Academy Dashboard Forum Production Recording Techniques Ribbon mics for overheads but low ceilings?

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Paul Koester.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paul Koester
    Participant

Is it worth even trying to use ribbon mics (or any figure 8)  as overheads mics if I'm recording in a room with 8 foot ceilings?

Currently I use SDCs for OH, but I'd like to add a few options to my mic locker.

Christopher Thompson
      Participant

I think a ribbon can be great as a mono OH. I've never used one for stereo OHs. I guess I'm a smaller room you'd want to keep to a more dry sort of kit sound and add ambiance on the mix but, of course, you gotta just experiment and see what works. I think recorderman/Glyn John's type of setups are worth a try in a small room.

Paul Koester
        Participant

I'm actually in a decent sized room, probably like 30 ft by 20 ft.  I've had some luck with some room mics placed 10-15 ft out from the kit.   I guess I'm just worried that I might get too much reflection off the ceiling if I used ribbons as OH, so if/when I do get some ribbon mics, I might have more luck using them as room mics rather than ribbons.

I do like your suggestion about the Glen John type set up.   I haven't tried that yet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.