Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Competitions (Mixing, Songwriting, etc.) Remix 'Spell' (Indie Electronica) - Deadline April 25th

• This topic has 14 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by thedove.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Tobi
    Keymaster

Remix competition that caught my eye. Never remixed anything before, so I thought it'd be an interesting learning experience.

Hollywood Principle Spell Remix Competition

Feel free to post mixes for feedback. Discussions, Questions, Etc...

Anders Isberg
      Participant

I've started a remix of this song. I've never done a proper remix in this genre before so definitely a great opportunity for learning.

Andrew Mckenzie
        Participant

I'll give this a try as well if I can find some time to finish the other ones on the go 🙂

Tobi
          Keymaster

Just started mix prep on Warren's new track - very funky - but I want to get this one going as well. No idea where to go with it - lol - but I'm game for a challenge 🙂

Anders Isberg
            Participant

Here is my basic layout of the arrangement. This is not a mix. I haven't done anything to the individual tracks and there's nothing on the mix bus. I'm going to add a few more sounds throughout. I'm also planning on making the end section longer and make it even more of a crescendo.

https://soundcloud.com/timelike_productions/spell-arrangement-ideas/s-UcVKo

Steve A
              Participant

Anders' first out of the gate as usual, haha, sounds good already! Interested to hear how your plans for it materialize.
                Yeah, I don't even know where to begin with this genre... I wonder what a good reference track would be, anyone have an idea?

Tobi
                Keymaster

Nice. Like the heavy pianos at around 16 secs in - very cool. Vocal effect works well too.

Good foundation on which to build.

Anders Isberg
                  Participant

I did a rough mix of the ideas so far. Added a few things.

https://soundcloud.com/timelike_productions/spell-rough-mix-1/s-Mq5PW

Tobi
                    Keymaster

Really like it when it kicks in at 16 secs. Strings are nice under intro - love that you drop them out just before the mix kicks in.

The middle 1.17 - 1.56 wanders a little, takes energy away from the remix. I get what you're trying to do, not sure it works yet.

Loooove the little break at 1.56 - such a nice touch! And the build that follows rocks!

Really great work. Just that middle bit. Feels... fuzzy. But otherwise, fantastic remix you're building there!

Tobi
                      Keymaster

For anyone, like me, who's struggling to get their head around this :

21 Remix Tips

Anders Isberg
                        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Toby! I've submitted my remix and deleted the earlier mixes. Didn't want to break the rules of the competition. Sorry! You can listen to my submission here: https://www.indabamusic.com/opportunities/hollywood-principle-spell-remix-contest/submissions/7df34c20-ff5e-11e5-ae60-0e8b89ba5cff

Great remix tips Toby. I did at least follow some of those. 🙂 I figure I'm never going to get as good as the real remixers, like our own Brian for President, so I might as well do my own thing. With the Spell remix I had a pretty clear vision from the beginning. I wanted to stay fairly close to the original song and use a lot of the material provided, and try to bring out the dynamics even more.

Tobi
                          Keymaster

You did a nice job. Lots of interesting builds and drops, while staying true to the original tone and mood of the track. Tastefully done.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.