Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Reference Mixes

• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by tblizz.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Hector Jon Jon
    Participant

Hey guys!

I recently finished watching the Production Advice Hangout where Warren talks about how he uses "Hey Soul Sister" to reference vocals and I thought it would be interesting to see and hear what songs do you guys use for reference when mixing.

Thanks!

-Hector Jon

tblizz
      Participant

For referencing dynamics when mixing you could try the Bob Katz Honor Roll.

Cris Sabater Sabater
        Participant

Hi there, sometimes I use a reference track and it will usually be the rough mix that I was sent by the client. I want hear what the song is about and what drives it too. Then I can work on the brief if I am given one although I am usually trusted to do my own thing. If I am going for something in particular then I will reference a song from the same genre, so for instance if it was a Thrash Metal tune then I would use old Metallica or Anthrax.

Cheers mate,

Cris

Steve Dandrea
          Participant

Steely Dan - Aja for super dry, tight drums

Almost anything by Andy Wallace for big rock guitars. Probably Chevelle though, and probably something off "wonder what's next".

If it's something ultra-modern and poppy, most likely something by Serban Ghenea, probably the last Taylor Swift record.

One thing you have to keep in mind when referencing is that you're not referencing SONGS, you're referencing levels and tones. So while I am not a particularly huge fan of Taylor Swift, the production on her last record was superb.

Johnny Sommerer
            Participant

wonder what's next is great, i love it! i'm a fan of taylor as well, the production on 1989 was truly overwhelming!

thedove
              Participant

Hi Guys

this thread might also be of interest

https://www.producelikeapro.com/forums/topic/arrangements-that-inspire/

Magnus Johansson
                Participant

Here´s a list from Izotope
                  https://open.spotify.com/user/izotope_education/playlist/7jUyTWOCMUxtTz9FItBkDN

I don´t find it that useful though. Someone might.

tblizz
                  Participant

I don´t find it that useful though. Someone might.

Well, you can’t go wrong with Aimee Mann

"That’s Just What You Are" was mixed by Jack Joseph Puig and "How Am I different" was mixed by Bob Clearmountain.

For a beautiful low-end make sure you listen to “Vultures" by John Mayer. Pino Palladino on bass and Michael Brauer behind the mixing desk: pure magic!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.