Academy Dashboard Forum Production Recording Techniques Recording a Cello

Tagged: 

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Patrik Wahlund.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Patrik Wahlund
    Participant

Hi Friends,

I am about to record cello (first time). Any suggestions as how to go about it? That is, microphone suggestions and placement. How do you guys go about it?

Bless /Pat

Guido tum Suden
      Keymaster

I can only guess:
        Condenser, small or large diaphragm.
        Don't point it to the bridge unless you want the bowing noise, I would try the lower part of the fingerboard.
        If your room permits it (sound wise) go away from the cello, my guess would be around one meter.

Guido tum Suden
        Keymaster
          Patrik Wahlund
          Participant

Thanks a lot, I have not seen the Audio-Technica video before. Good starting point
            /Pat

Warren Huart
            Keymaster

Great stuff Guido! Thanks for posting! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Patrik Wahlund
              Participant

Thanks a lot Guido,

Recorded my first cello ever yesterday.

The video was a great starting point. I ended up using a Neumann KM84i and a NT1 for close mics blending them and an Aston for the room (as it captured this room better than the others).

Here is a small sample of the last refrain from the rough mix (I just pressed SOLO on the three cello channels)

https://soundcloud.com/patrik-wahlund/ett-underverk-elise-nestor-1-cello-solo-sista-reffe/s-lcWR6

Sounds OK to me!

Bless /Pat

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Patrik Wahlund.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.