Academy Dashboard Forum Production Recording Techniques recording a band with two mabe three mics

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Mark Holden.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mark Holden
    Participant

Hello,

In a couple of weeks I'll be going into a practice room to record a band. The purpose is to get reference tracks the guys can use to further work on songs, they're at the song writing stage. My first thought is to mic up the room with two mics to get stereo image and just move the mics around to get a balance. I may place a third mic as a mono room.

My mind set is thinking back to when a balance for a mix was created by moving musicians to and from a mic to get levels, as were using amps move the mics there not as heavy.

Anyone got any thoughts that may help me out before I get there.

Thanks
      Mark

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by Mark Holden.
      Paul Motion
      Participant

Sounds like a fun experiment Mark. I guess it'll partly depend on the type of mics you'll be using. I think you're approach is sensible. Assuming you have decent baffling for the kit I'd add a single mic for that. Are you DI'ing bass and gtrs? If so then 3 mics will be cool.. just watch your phase.

Best of luck!

Paul

Mark Holden
        Participant

Hello Paul

I've yet to see the set, so for now assuming mics, which will be Match 040's (pair) and STC-20, a 57 on hand as well. Di would be great but not sure till i get there whats can be done.

It really will be an experiment, so your pointers a good to bare in mind, and will have to see what we can get a hold of for a baffle, good point.

Yes the time has come to start making some mistakes finally 🙂

Mark

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Mark Holden.
          Andrew (AKA Ajay)
          Participant

Hi Mark,

The way I've done a recording like this is to capture the room sound as a whole, that's a great idea.

If the band has a singer I would concentrate on getting their voice recorded as best as possible.

Then if there is a guitar or keys, for instance, playing a melodic hook or line that's integral to the song I would also do your best to capture that too.

A cool thing that's also a good idea, is to put a 57 or something at floor level, you'd be surprised what that picks up hey!

Anyway, let us know how you go!

Ajay.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Andrew (AKA Ajay).
            Mark Holden
            Participant

Hello

Cheers Andrew, I've just order a few more mics (e609, 57, 58) as the more I thought about (and there going to be needed after all) so looking forward to getting in there. This should be a great learning curve for me.

Mark

Guido tum Suden
              Keymaster

Hi Mark,

you should look into Moses Schneider: https://www.mosesschneider.com/home-c1gl2
                He is the producer of some well known bands (at least well know here) and already famous for his workings on practice room recordings.
                He's written a book about it: "the alternative workbook or how to pimp your practice room" which has lots of great ideas.
                His main idea is that a band sounds more alive in their own practice room and that it is important to capture that feeling on a record.
                So he has made a lot of records with bands in their practice rooms, recording almost everything at once.

One important part is how to position the instruments in the room. He does that in a way that you will get a sweet spot where the sound of all instruments cross. You position a stereo mic there and record. The band members then have to change their volume until the right balance is found in the sweet spot. The position also grants a good stereo image.

Cheers,
                Guido

Mark Holden
                Participant

Hello

Thanks Guido having a look over dinner. I really like the idea of recording this way so will be doing what I can to make it happen. I've a few albums by Kreator which Moses Schneider is using as examples in the ebook on having a quick skim.

Thanks Mark

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Mark Holden.
                  Mark Holden
                  Participant

Thanks Guys

I got an hours of material to work on, It was practice session for the band (and me) time was tight so set up as quickly as possible the results have been welcomed by the band and I get to go back for a session that will allow time for setting up.

I'll post a link once all songs are done for anyone interested. A LOT of clean up was needed nothing to shout about but well worth doing and good fun.

Mark Holden

Mark Holden
                    Participant

Hello

One of the tracks the lads done was a cover of a song called Losing All by Down. They just did the music and I've pulled together a quick 90 min mix. The purpose of these recordings was for the lads to have something other than a mobile phone recording to hear there parts and mistakes so no quantizing or editing has been done.

OH's were measured from centre of snare as a spaced pair they should of been further apart but space did not allow this. Next time will try the XY set up. and hopefully add a kick mic. They were EQ'd on the way in with a 600 Hz HP filter. A tip from Glenn Fricker who picked it up from Andrew Scheps this helps with phase alignment.

Wurst was the SM57 central level with snare about 12" from kick beater, snare centre,floor tom and rack ride just above, nothing on the way in. I EQ'd and compressed the wurst mic to isolate the kick and snare crack, doubled the track and panned 50/50 sent to a bus for further EQ and brought it up under the original wurst track blended with the OH's and all tracks to a drum bus for processing.

Bass had a SM57 on it (the bass player moved the mic don't tell Glenn lol) so was set off axis but ended up pointing at wood. Saturation is from the amp track was doubled one track for low boost other for character.

Gtr 1 E609 on axis for the lead, Gtr 2 E609 off axis for the rhythm just panned left and right 75% solo brought into the Centre.

All songs were one take in a small room, the amps were so loud the vocal PA could not be heard (no vocals on this take) but the Vox were ran through a behringer so was able to take a feed straight to the interface (presonus quantum)

Just a quick taste of a very quick first go looking forward to getting set up properly, or at least better next time. The Moses Schneider info was a great help.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IsOBxzn3sFhL2375NZOsgaCpxH327So_

Mark

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.