Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DAWs Reaper Reaper Users 2022 - A Safe Place

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Norman Kern.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike De Camp
    Participant

Hey everyone. Hope all's well and you're healthy and safe. Poking around in the forums I found a white space for an updated Reaper discussion thread. So I thought even though I'm really inexperienced I should kick off a new thread as a safe place for Reaper users to chat, compare notes and be friends! I got a feeling from some chat lurking and the most recent live stream that there is quite a bit of negative sentiment for reaper here on PLAPA. It is what it is, but I am quite happy with Reaper as my DAW. That said, I don't wish for this to become a X vs Y discussion thread. LOL. If you like or love Reaper, please say hi and feel free to add me as a friends so we can easily stay in touch =)

• This topic was modified 2 years ago by Mike De Camp. Reason: spelling correction
      Paul Motion
      Participant

Hey Mike, sorry to hear you’re finding some negativity around Reaper. I currently use Pro Tools but have a paid licence for Reaper and Reason from back in the day.
        I tend to think that the best DAW is the one you know the best.
        I use ProTools predominately and then Reason for writing… just because I know it better but have done a few mixes in Reaper.
        I would hope no-one here would make anyone feel “less than” because of the hardware or software they use!
        If it sounds good it is good 🙂

Mike De Camp
        Participant

Hi Paul. Agree'd. "If it sounds good..." yeah, I wouldn't say anyone is actively hating on it or me in particular, but it is definitely the punchline for more than a few jokes. Which is fine. I'm very happy with it for my purposes so far.

I haven't heard much about reason in quite some time. How do you leverage that for writing in particular?

Paul Motion
          Participant

Hey Mike… I find Reason a lot easier to just throw down ideas. Like with Reaper for you, I guess I just know Reason pretty well for that. Being able to manipulate sounds, add weird stuff or just noodle…. I’ve done a couple of mixes in Reason and found it less than ideal though.

Mike De Camp
            Participant

So... I'm about to go out and get a machine to dedicate to my growth as a producer. Does anyone have any experience with Reaper on Mac vs on PC??

Paul Motion
              Participant

Slightly off topic but reading reviews of the new M1 macs, and even the Mac minis look amazing. My spec’d up Mac book pro sounds like it’s taking off…. I run protools but it’s similar with Reaper or Reason.
                For the cash outlay you’ll need for a PC not to sound like jet engine would warrant the spend on an M1 I reckon…
                Sorry to derail a little.

Barry Caudill
                Participant

I've been a Reaper user for years. Can't say I've necessarily received any bad feelings about it - here or other online sources. Like Paul I also have and use Reason as a secondary DAW. Oddly, I switched to Reaper because I didn't know enough about the SSL emulation in Reason and now that I have a ton more experience I think I could just as easily work in there these days. Anymore, Mac vs. Windows is all about what you're comfortable with (just like DAW choice). I use Reaper on Mac (I have both an iMac and a MacBook Pro - neither are M1 though). I had switched to Mac many years ago when PC was still struggling with the music stuff but I think it's safe to say the PC is completely caught up now. One of the beauties of a Windows PC (which I also have for gaming) is that you can build your own machine and probably save quite a bit of money if that's your thing. I enjoy building PCs and I've thought about making a dedicated music PC as a comparison but as I am "between jobs" at the moment that will likely need to wait as it falls into the "frivolous spending" category. Paul, I don't think I've experienced the level of fan noise on my MBP that you're referring to. 🙂 I use it for mixing when I'm away from the house but I also use it for remote recording.

-Barry

Mike De Camp
                  Participant

Thanks for chiming in Barry! Sorry it took me forever to circle back to this thread. I appreciate the time and thought you put into replying! I am thinking about building something to suit my needs musically.

Norman Kern
                    Participant

I switched to reaper about 6 months ago.  To give you a little of my background with DAW's.  My first DAW was Sonic Solutions back in 1996.  At the time Sonic was light years ahead of ProTools.  Sonic was the only 24bit system at the time and did everything.  Very costly at the time but well worth it. But Sonic went the wrong way when blue rays came out and I had to switch to another system Frameworks which later merged into Merging Technologies Pyramix.  Pyramix was great but I was spending too much for upgrades and at the time I was working in mostly in live theatre.  By the way I have worked in Music, Film, and live theater.  Sonic and Pyramix where my film systems.  While doing live theatre I was using mostly Sonar by Cakewalk, but when it sold to Gibson, I went to ProTools to do music.  I was never completely happy with ProTools because I couldn't customize it like I could with my past DAWs.  So in comes Reaper.  I spent my first month with reaper customizing it to the way I work.  The speed in which I work now is back to how it was when I was on Sonic and Pyramix, with very few freezes and crashes.  But now I am at another crossroad.  I am totally sold on the future of music will be Dolby Atmos.  I've mixed music before in 5.1 and loved what I could do with it, but never believed that it would be the future in music.  Atmos has taken all those reasons away that I had with 5.1.  So I am making the move to build an Atmos system.  I have to change to Mac from PC which is a bummer because I build my own computers.  Now the challenge will be if Reaper can handle Atmos.  I have heard that someone has been using it, but there isn't much on that as of yet.  I would be bummed if I had to go back to Protools, But I have always done what ever needs to be done, even if it hurts.  Just crossing my fingers that I will be able to make it work with Reaper.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.