Academy Dashboard Forum Production Digital Recording Phase Issues Caused by EQ (high pass)

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Mark Holden.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    John Scalia
    Participant

I just recently learned that EQing ,specifically ,High Passing can wreck your hard work you spend phase aligning single tracks within a group, for instance, a bottom snare, to an outer kick, or even a bass D.I/Cabinet combination.
      Can someone please clear this up for me? I mean, I've watched Warren and others countless times start their mixes by phase checking FIRST. I don't think I've ever once seen him or others GO BACK and RE check phase after high passing a bottom snare or whatever. I feel stupid. I know we should use our ears, and let that tell us when something just isn't right, but doesn't it seem like this "phase" thing is quite a temperamental thing? Im going to post this here, as it seems appropriate for "digital recording" since it seems we all may in some way , have bought in to DAW software like "Auto Align" or many other digital phase tools/ plugins.
      I should add, that I'm semi aware of EQ's that are Linear Phase. These are said to be immune to said problem.
      Anyone have any helpful info on this issue?

Many Thanks , John Scalia. St Paul MN

Mark Holden
      Participant

Hello

With very little knowledge here I will just dive in and take a guess. The wave form would still be present in the same place after EQ you will just hear or not here the parts where EQ have been applied. As you are turning up or down frequencies in a wave form you are not moving the wave forms position in time.

Like I say I'm taking a guess but that would be my understanding.

Mark Holden

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.