Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Academy Lesson Suggestions Old mixes in feedback Friday

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Maurice Beekman.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Maurice Beekman
    Participant

Just a suggestion:
      As i'm quite new to PLAPA i am still in the process of viewing all video's but also looking at the older feedback Friday mixes. I started mixing these early mixes, learning from the according video tutorials and i can imaging that there is some learning curve starting from the old mixes to the new ones (tips and trics). It would be nice if a could submit an older mix to Warren for feedback. So a more general (legacy) feedback Friday.

Maurice

Tobi
      Keymaster

Hey Maurice,

I think you've hit upon something that is going to be a growing theme in the Academy, as more members join.

---------

The biggest strength of Feedback Friday, is that we all have the same set of multitracks to work from. How do we incorporate other mixes without detracting from that?

As the Academy grows, Feedback Friday will reach a 'saturation point' in terms of submitted mixes. Adding even more potential mixes to the melting pot is only going to add to that problem.

---------

On the other hand, it'd be great if we could think of a framework to accommodate previous multitracks. I'm just not sure what that might be. For example, it's taken the best part of a year for us to come up with a way to accommodate Member's Productions into Feedback Friday (and we still haven't implemented it yet).

---------

I think having a 'Flashback Feedback' or similar, where we feature a different set of past multitracks each time, might work. However I'm not sure it's practical to add it to the existing Feedback Friday setup, because of time constraints.

Perhaps each month we could feature a set of past multitracks. We could revisit old Academy mixes and encourage member feedback on mixes by new members.

If Warren has the time (and that's a big if), he could end the month with a live Academy discussion / workshop, where we listen to excerpts of old and new PLAPA mixes that stood out for one positive reason or another.

The live session could be structured around the structure of the mix : start by looking at the drums, then the vocals etc... using members mixes, as positive examples of how to solve a particular problem.

-------

A little rough and ready... but it might work.

Maurice Beekman
        Participant

Thanks Toby. Sounds good to me.
          As the community is growing there will be some logistical problems. I guess Warren has to get some sleep also sometimes 🙂 It would be nice if the more experienced mixers could give feedback on older mixes in Member Production section. That is something that should grow over time i guess. As soon as i've done my share of mixes i can start helping other people with feedback.

Tim Morris
          Participant

Im also new here, and whilst I like listening back to some of the older mixes that folks have done, I have decided to try and use that for information and learning purposes, and stay with the most current multitracks
            to have a go at myself and submit within 2-3 weeks max.

Sadly I think that as this forum grows, it may simply not be possible for Warren to comment on older mixes unless it becomes Feedback Mon- Fri !

I suppose he could try an " any mix" Friday say at the end of each month.

Im actually yet to hear a "really bad" mix !.....but then again....I am yet to submit anything ;-[

Arthur Labus

Honestly, i am think it is not possible.
              The amount of mixes were too big to handle. Except as Spark240 said - Everydays Feedback 🙂
              Indeed there's no necessary need to make every mix as new member, due there is no learning schedule at all.
              What we should do in a year or two ?!
              The only way i think, is to make "older" mixes if desired, post it (in proper forum) and get feedback from other members.
              For new members: introduce first and be active member.
              For "older" members: help new members and give as many feedbacks as possible.

Just my two Pfenning 😉

Maurice Beekman
              Participant

Agreed. Just a place to upload older mixes to be reviewed by other, more experienced users, would be fine for me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.