• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by John Gleason.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John Gleason
    Participant

John,

Thank you very much for contributing your time and expertise to this forum.

I have an odd-shaped room to work with. All parallel walls, floor and ceiling, but with two rectangular side areas (one behind the other), and a stairwell in the middle which has open wood studs for half of its sides and one end. How can I calculate the resonances for this space or should I use a microphone/reference signal? My current mixing desk is next to the stairwell facing down the long length of the room into the two smaller rectangular areas. I want to avoid adding any walls, although I realize that this is a compromise. (The total room size is 1600 sq ft.)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John Gleason

John Brandt
      Participant

John,

Nice big room!

Listening position is always an issue.. yes, do testing to find the best spot. Parallel surfaces aren't bad in themselves and for a mixing environment, flutter echo shouldn't be an issue except between the front and back walls.

Treat the front, left and right symmetrically and find the spot where the low frequency is the flattest for the mix position.

Testing: I highly recommend Room EQ Wizard. http://www.roomeqwizard.com/ It's free and on par with the best paid software. I also highly recommend the mic from MiniDSP https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

Cheers,
        John

John Gleason
        Participant

Thanks, John. I have used Room EQ Wizard before but only to try room simulations. The odd-shaped room, as well as the long lengths, doesn't work for the simulation. I'll buy the MiniDSP mic and go at it from that direction.

Again, thanks for your support of this forum and I look forward to the release of the 3rd edition of your book!

John Gleason

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.