Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DAWs Logic Nothing I Can Say - Logic Template

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Monty Craig.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Monty Craig
    Participant

Hey Everybody,

I am just getting started and was asking for some help. I have made a Logic template to start mixing. I would love some feedback on creating templates for Logic and if there is anything in this template that I have left out. I was interested in continuing to build on this by using all Logic stock plugins in the template and mixing it with all Logic plugins as an excercise. I would love any help from the Logic users here.The download link is below. Thanks in advance!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/atw4nntoqtufayq/AAB14fOAOEqAkSBWeSenk_ISa?dl=0

• This topic was modified 5 years ago by Monty Craig.
      • This topic was modified 5 years ago by Monty Craig.
      Guido tum Suden
      Keymaster

Hi Monty,

I downloaded your "Template" which, I fear, isn't really a template.
        I would like to help you with it, but I would also like to move this thread to the "DAWs – Logic" sub-forum if that's okay.

One thing now, though. The way you use your busses, they are all in parallel which I think you didn't do on purpose.
        Change the Output of the appropriate channels to go to the bus and from there to "Stereo".
        Only use Sends when you want to get parallel Channels or Busses.

Guido

Monty Craig
        Participant

Sounds great! Thank for the tip on the busses. I am just getting my head around the subgroups and bussing.

Go ahead and move this to the Logic DAW thread. I'll also upload a template without the tracks.

Thanks!

Monty

Guido tum Suden
          Keymaster

Okay, let's start (it may be, that some of the terms I use are not the right ones, because I will translate them back from German to English).

Logic has mainly four types of tracks and so four types of different channel strips.
            - Audio Track
            - Sofware Instrument
            - Bus or Aux Channel
            - MIDI Track (which you only need when you use the sounds of external MIDI instruments)

Each channel has some typical components
            - Input: This is a signal going into the channel
            - Insert: Here the signal leaves the channel, goes through another device (usually a plugin) and goes (changed) back into the channel. You can use 15 inserts (plugins).
            - Send: Here you grab the signal and send it somewhere else without the signal leaving the channel. You can have 8 Sends. If you so want, you could say you make a copy of the signal and send it (usually) to a bus or an aux-channel, which is the same for our purpose. The copied signal will then be on another channel (a bus), which is what you did in your template. This just makes the signal louder and only has a purpose if you change the sound in the copy (by inserting a plugin for example). But you still have the sound from the original channel.
            - Output: Here the signal leaves the channel and you tell it where it goes. In Logic "Stereo Out" means the signal goes directly to the last "channel" in your mixer which has the main outputs of your audio interface.

The differences

- Input
            - Audio Track: The input of the channel is one of your audio interfaces' inputs
            - Software Instrument: The input is a software instrument plugin (like one of the many from Logic or maybe the Kontakt sampler or something else.)
            - Bus: Important! The Input is either what you get from a Send or an Output of an Audio Track, a Software Instrument or another Bus.

- Insert
            - in all channel types you insert a plugin here. This can be an EQ. If the plugin doesn't have a mix knob it will alter the signal completely.

- Send
            - in all channel types you make a copy of the signal and send it, usually with a different volume, to the input of a bus.

- Output
            - in all channel types you determine where the signal of that channel goes. This can not only be an Output but also a bus. If the outputs of more than one channel (e.g. all drum channels) go to one bus this is called "summing".

So, in your template you shouldn't have used Sends to feed busses. You should have changed the outputs of the channels to the inputs of the appropriate busses and only let the outputs of the busses go to the "Stereo Out" which essentially is a bus, too.

So, this was the first part. If you have questions, just ask. 🙂
            If you want to change your template and show the outcome, please remove not only the tracks but also the audio files from the audio browser and see, that the actual audio files are no longer part of the Logic file. You can find them in the "Audio Files" folder. If you only have one file, you have to right-click it and open the content to find the Audio Files folder.

Guido

Matt Graham
            Participant

Guido, you are so kind! THUMBS UP BUDS!

Matty

Monty Craig
              Participant

Thanks so much for this Guido!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.