Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Noise coming out of speakers

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Jonathan Marshall.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lukas Komnenovic
    Participant

Hey guys,
      I recently bought a pair of Yamaha HS8 and they Sound amazing. They have a great transient Response and a great bass Response. However, if listen very near to the Speakers also if no Music is on I can Always hear like a bit noise that Comes up. But it is really really quiet. To hear it I Need to go really near. Now my Question is: Is it normal that every Speaker gives a bit noise when you listen to them from very near? It doesnt really bother because its so quiet but I just wanted to ask. Sometimes it is like a quiet Scratching Sound or a really really quiet high beeping tone. I cant really describe it but something Comes out of the Speakers. How can I reduce this?
      Thanks
      Lukas

Magnus Johansson
      Participant

Are you sure that it is the speakers that makes sound. Sometimes garble like that comes from the output.

Andrew (AKA Ajay)
        Participant

Hi Lukas,

The noise you're hearing can sometimes be a power earthing hum, isolating gear in the studio from bad power is a huge challenge.

Jonathan Marshall
          Participant

Hi Lukas,

I have two pairs of the HS8s and love them. Haven't heard scratching noises but for a while I was plagued by mains hum which turned out to be the mains wiring. The guy who wired up the house decided two earths were better than one and the power points in the living room are wired to different earths on opposite sides of the building! Some things to try:

* Always use balanced TRS cables into the HS8s.
            * Do the noises continue if you unplug the cables into the monitors?
            * Work from the monitors back through the system - swapping mixers, interfaces, cables and such to try and isolate where the noises come from.
            * Plug all the gear into a multi-box from the one power outlet to rule out mains wiring issues.

I had a mixer that had serious noise issues and that turned out to be the voltage regulators in the power supply failing. Also dodgy cables - I use a Behringer CT100 cable tester, plug in the cord and wiggle both ends near the plug. It has latching LEDs that stay lit if there is any sort of momentary disconnect on the cable.

Let us know how you get on.
            Jonathan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.