Academy Dashboard Forum Production Recording Techniques Need help with figuring out guitar parts

• This topic has 9 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Anders Isberg.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi Warren and the PLAP-ers,

I need help figuring out how to play similar guitar parts for my song. When played in the mix, they make the whole sound richer and more powerful, but I can't figure out how exactly I'm supposed to play something like that. I'm attaching samples.

My guess is that only the top 2-3 strings are being strummed at a time, becuase when I try to strum all 6 strings, it creates too much mushiness and chaos. Are these so-called power chords? Many of you guys are very good at playing electric guitar, so I hope for your guidance.

Thank you!!

Anonymous

Just need to subscribe.

Anders Isberg
        Participant

I know those vocings. Used them alot myself. The first three chord are basicslly the same shape moved around with the d-string droning.
          7___ 10___3
          x___ x____x
          0___ 0____0
          6___ 9____2 (pulled-off /hammered-on to 0)
          7___ 10___3
          x____x____x

Next is just Em, D/F#, G(add 9), Asus4, A

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Anders Isberg.
          • This reply was modified 8 years ago by Anders Isberg.
          Anonymous

Wow, thanks @blue_espresso!

I'll have to look up that d-string droning term. So, if I read your diagram correctly, 7 10 3 correspond to frets on strings 1 and 5, right?

Anders Isberg
            Participant

The last bit is the same chords as the first three with one added passing chord.
              7___ 9____10___3
              x___ x____x____x
              0___ 7____0____0
              6___ 9____9____2
              7___ 10___10___3
              x____x____x____x

Anders Isberg
              Participant

The diagrams are from the 6th string (low E) and down. 7th fret (low E), muted (A), open D, and so on...

Anonymous

Thanks @blue_espresso!!

Now the real challenge for me would be to actually play them chords to a click. I will have to transpose these, because my song is in a different key. I will upload my recordings of it when I get it down 😉

Should be a lot of fun, way more fun than programming a guitar sampler.

Anders Isberg
                  Participant

Glad to be able to help you. Remember to use a capo if you transpose. A lot of the sound of those chords is due to that open D string ringing throughout.

Anonymous

I tried that pattern yesterday, but I can't switch without making mistakes (as I said, I'm terrible at this). Here's what I decided to do instead, and I think it's a simple way that would work:

8___4___11___6
                      10__6___13___8
                      10__6___13___8
                      x___x___x___x
                      x___x___x___x
                      x___x___x___x

That progression is played on the lowest strings and creates some low end crunch. For high end and upper mid range, I will use other instruments, including a Mark II and maybe a B3 as well. There will be another high electric part that will be played on the 3 highest strings, panned to the right. I have my work-arounds 😉

Anders Isberg
                      Participant

Power chords almost always work very well, and Rhodes and Organ is a classic combo. Looking forward to hear what it sounds like later on. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.