Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DAWs Reason My Reason Setup

• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Andrew Mckenzie.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Mckenzie
    Participant

It seems not many people use Reason for mixing so I thought I would share my setup and some of my thoughts on this quirky little Swedish program. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm running the full Reason version 8.3 currently on a HP laptop (ProBook 6560b) with 8GB of memory using Windows 7 x64

My audio interface is a Propellerhead Balance (the only hardware device they ever made and now discontinued) which is a USB 2.0 device and works with Mac or Windows and is designed to integrate with Reason perfectly. More info here if you are interested... https://www.propellerheads.se/products/balance/

For monitoring I am using a pair of KRK Rokit 8's and a set of AKG 271 mark 2's, both of which I'm still "learning"

I have purchased the outboard and backline rigs which include bundles of useful rack extensions (a.k.a. plugins) as well as a few other select ones like cakewalks RE-2A (their version of an LA-2A) etc.

The biggest issue I have (and the "reason" ...pardon the pun....a lot of people probably won't look at it) is the fact that the DAW only uses rack extensions and not any other type of plugins like VST, AU etc. so trying to follow along to some of Warren's video's isn't always possible although many of the concepts and settings transfer over to the equivalent device in Reason.

Having said that, I have to say that there is not much I can't do with just the DAW by itself in the most basic form with some truly excellent devices included as standard. The built in virtual mixer I find absolutely superb (modelled after an SSL 9000 ...more info here..https://www.propellerheads.se/reason/mixing) and I just "get" the way it has been laid out along with the streamlined workflow.

Maybe it's just me, maybe I like a little "quirky" but for me it seems like a more intuitive DAW than any of the others I've had a play with such as Pro Tools, Live, and Reaper (although I am trying to get my head around reaper as well).

Anyway, if anyone else is either using or thinking about using Reason, I would be more than happy to share any knowledge I have on it.

Here's a mix I completed in Reason recently that was obtained from the excellent site mixoff.org

https://soundcloud.com/amacca-938159740/like-lovers-do-my-mix

Let me know what you think. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers

Andrew

Anders Isberg
      Participant

Hi Andrew,

Nice set-up you've got there. I'm a quirky Swede myself, so I'm also using Reason 8.3 on a dedicated computer with Intel i7 x64, 16 GB RAM, Windows 8 and Balance as interface. Like you said I find it to be a very intuitive DAW with some great built in features. It's a shame that you can't use it with VST plugins and such, and it's probably the reason I'll change into another main DAW eventually. I've bought a few select RE's as well and especially like the McDSP compressors and eq's.

Cheers
        Anders

Andrew Mckenzie
        Participant

Hi Anders, nice to see I'm not the only one here using Reason ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm loving the Cakewalk RE-2A rack extension at the moment along with Selig De-Esser. I haven't tried the McDSP ones yet but that's next on the try list I think.

Have you found anything that resembles the "time adjuster" that Warren uses so much to align the phase of multiple tracks? I am having to move the tracks slightly to get stuff in phase and it's not that big of a deal I guess.

Cheers...Andrew

Anders Isberg
          Participant

No I've not found anything like the Time Adjuster. That's the thing that I really dislike about Reason and the RE's, seeing all theese videos of people taking about cool plug-ins that I can't use. It's a shame because otherwise I very much like the way that Reason is layed out, and how fast and easy it is to work with.

Yes, the RE-2A is a good one and I'm definitely going to check out that Selig De-Esser.

Parrish

My main DAW is Studio One, but I find Reason to be a really creative DAW. Smooth workflow and very inspiring. I can spend hours just playing around. I often start projects in Reason, and then import them into Studio One so I can use VST plugins on them.

Andrew Mckenzie
              Participant

I know what you mean Lara, sometimes I'll import tracks to Reaper just to use a particular plugin and then back into Reason. It's by far the biggest caveat of using Reason but I'm finding more and more manufacturers are now making rack extensions and the number is growing. ๐Ÿ™‚

Reason is so much more than a mixing environment, I can muck around for hours on end just for the fun of it.

Anders Isberg
                Participant

It's a great idea to use Reason to start projects and move them into another DAW to be able to VSTs. At the moment I don't think I could wrap my head around a second DAW, but I might give it a go anyway.

Joe Salyers Salyers
                  Participant

I have used Reason since version 6.5 in 2012 because it NEVER CRASHES and when you are tracking this so valuable to not killing the client/artist's vibe. I came from the hardware world so the layout of reason is very easy because it's just a virtual analog hardware studio layout. Plus having a SSL 9000 K is a plus you can add a little EQ if the vocalist needs it or cut a frequency without digging through a menu for a plugin or wiring up hardware in the chain to make the noise floor rise. The instruments are great also. I treat my Reason sessions as the tracking session and then export those sessions out and into either Logic or Pro Tools depending on the mood I am in that day! Amacca if you ever want to collaborate on a session with a fellow reason user just send me a message sometime! Have a great day!

Andrew Mckenzie
                    Participant

That's awesome Joe, glad to see another Reason user here. Maybe we can all collaborate on one of Warren's mixes and submit it as a group effort?
                      Anyway nice to meet you mate, enjoy this very cool community. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers.....Andrew

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Andrew Mckenzie.
                      Jesper
                      Participant

...And yes Iยดm too using Reason 8.3 with the Propellerhead Balance sound interface and been using Reason since Reason 2.5. I really like the SSL mixer in it, and I totally agree with Joe, Andrew and Anders when it comes to what is good and not so good with the program. I probably stay forever with it though because I love how it simulate real stuff and it is so creative and fun and really easy to work with. I just open my lap up and bam! I on my way! ๐Ÿ™‚ A Reason group in Warrens community...I would love it!

Andrew Mckenzie
                        Participant

Welcome along Jeppe, great to hear another Reason user and look forward to hearing your work. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers....Andrew

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.