Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing MV2 / OTT Compressors

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Phil Donaldson.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Phil Donaldson
    Participant

Hey, Warren has brought up the Waves MV2 compressor for refining bass instruments. Can I get away with the same thing with the Xfer Records OTT compressor? Iโ€™m also using iZotope Neutron.

Thanks in advance. As you were. ๐Ÿ™‚

• This topic was modified 2 years ago by Phil Donaldson.
      Paul Motion
      Participant

Hey Phil.. if it sounds good then yes ๐Ÿ™‚ Give it a try and see how you go. The way I tend to use the MV2 on bass is after treating the DI and the Amp separately and then bringing them back together and putting the MV2 over the bass bus or sub group. Rarely fails ๐Ÿ™‚
        See how that method works with the OTT.

Best of luck!

Phil Donaldson
        Participant

Thanks, Paul.

I'd placed OTT in the bass bus, but I'm unclear as to what you mean about treating the DI and amp separately. Do you mean having a bass track that runs out to an (aux) bus that then they both (DI and amp) route to the bass bus?

Do you know of any significant differences between MV2 and OTT?

Paul Motion
          Participant

Hey Phil. Sorry for not explaining. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Full disclosure, I donโ€™t know the Xfer Records OTT compressor but in theory it should do the same thing as the MV.
            By splitting the bass what I mean is using the DI signal for your low end and the amp for high end, then bussing them together and putting the OTT or MV2 over the bus.
            If you donโ€™t have both DI & amp, then just duplicate what you have and use one for low and the other for high. If I only have a DI signal Iโ€™ll tend to use Sansamp or the Soundtoys distortion plugin for character.
            I hope that helps!

Phil Donaldson
            Participant

No worries, Paul. Thanks for the clarification. This makes sense. I'll give it a try on my next project.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.