Academy Dashboard Forum Production Production Techniques Multitrack help.

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Brennon Smith.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brennon Smith
    Participant

hey guys. Im new to the site and trying to do proper mixing. I really only have ever mixed my own beats. I asked some discord servers to send me multitracks to practice on and got a ton which is awesome. My question is what to use. I have a couple songs that have a guitar left, guitar right, and guitar main. If the part is identical do I just use the main? Or both? Thank you

Guido tum Suden
      Keymaster

Hi Brennon,
        Welcome.
        If the tracks are really the same it is up to you. You could just use one which is what I would do. Some copy the tracks for left and right and change them in a way that you don't have too much phasing issues. For me the outcome is not worth the effort in most cases.
        If the player played the same on different tracks the case is different. Then, you usually put the tracks to the left and right and get a nice stereo image.

Guido

Stefan Leibing
        Participant

Hi Brennon,

the purpose why guitarist record a "guitar left" track and additionally record a "guitar right" track after that, is that you get a huge and wide sounding guitar sound, if you pan one track hard to the left and the other one hard to the right. Even if both guitars play exactly the same it is a huge difference compared to only have one mono guitar in the center.

You can easily try yourself in your mix. Mute one of the two guitars and put the other one into the center. Listen how it sounds. Then play both guitar tracks panned left and right and hear the difference. It's huge.

By the way it does not work if the first recorded track is just copied in the DAW. The second track has to be recorded separately.

Best regards,

Stefan

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Stefan Leibing.
          • This reply was modified 3 years ago by Stefan Leibing.
          Brennon Smith
          Participant

Thank you guys!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.