Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Mono or Stereo Group?

• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Rick Daniel.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Manos Kousourlis
    Participant

Hello everyone,

let's say I have 2 mono tracks for my kick, 2 for my snare, and 2 for my  Electric gtrs(these are hard panned L & R).

Now, I want to group the kicks, the snares and the gtrs in separate group channels(busses etc.)for some extra eq etc.

Should I use mono or stereo group channels( By the way I'm using cubase)?????

Thank you for your time.

Damien Tremblay
      Participant

For the guitars I would definitely go for a stereo bus, for kicks and snare would go mono

Manos Kousourlis
        Participant

Thank you!!

Guido tum Suden
          Keymaster

If you have reverb on kick or snare, e.g. because you use a special reverb, that you won't use for different instruments, you may need a stereo bus.

Manos Kousourlis
            Participant

Thank you.

Mark Leyland
              Participant

Create 2 stereo group channels, one for the drums and one for guitars and send any effects sends from those group channels, such as NY Compression, Reverb etc.

Rick Daniel
                Participant

For me: Each kick track outputs to a (kick)mono bus. That mono bus is the input for a aux kick track that outputs to a stereo (drums) bus.
                  Same way for the snare. you can also blend in samples into your snare or kick aux

Why this way?

most likely you will treat gain,eq,comp, output level etc.  different for each kick mic and then blend to the aux kick channel.  Aux kick channel will handle further treatment and panning. I usually pan center for kick and slightly left for snare(not a rule).  Some treatment may be stereo at this point like reverbs or delays.  That’s why the aux(s) output to a stereo drum bus.
                  My drums aux channel input is drums bus.

I use this method because it gives me more control at different levels of the signal chain.

I know this didn’t address the guitar portion of your question, but I didn’t wanna ramble on too much.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.