Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Monitor Controllers

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by face (chris) Janton.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nate Wycoff
    Participant

I need to buy a new monitor controller. I have a Behringer Control2usb and it (and both it's replacements) have had a horrible electronic hiss/buzz coming from the unit itself. I've also heard this model colors the sound.

I'm looking at either the Audient Nero or the Presonus Central Station PLUS Studio Monitor Controller. The Presonus is nice because it's rackmount and the controller is one cable. Otherwise there's a ton of cables routed to my desk.

My concern is even the description of the Presonus says it's transparent, I'd like to know if it colors the sound at all or if anyone here has had any experience with Presonus gear and how good the quality is.

I have a feeling the Nero is going to be the better sounding of the two....

Thanks!

Nate Wycoff
      Participant

After reading some more reviews of the Presonus, I don't think I'm headed down that road. lol

Magnus Emilsson
        Participant

Hello Nate.

In that price range I think the Audient is hard to beat, for a bit more money there are nice options from SPL & Drawmer. And for a lot more money there is absolutely lovely Dangerous Music Monitor ST.

I use the SSL X-Desk as my monitor controller, not the cheapest option, But they are starting to turn up used for reasonable money. Since I got a bit of hardware instruments that I play with/on the added bonus of the analog mixer made it worth it for monitoring and routing.

/Magnus

Nate Wycoff
          Participant

Thanks Magnus.
            I was also looking at the Drawmer CMC2 or the CMC3. The CM2 is in my range, and nice and compact too.

Magnus Emilsson
            Participant

I would also make sure to check the used market, the more upmarket brands ages very slowly and usually works for decades without issue.

face (chris) Janton
              Participant

It's not clear how many of the features you use on the Control2USB. Is it possible that the Behringer Monitor2USB would provide all the features you need? I have been using the Monitor2USB for about 2 years and am very happy with its lack of noise. I don't perceive any coloration. I have 2 pairs of monitors and a mono powered amp plugged in. It's a newer Behringer product, so the history of "poor product" doesn't apply.

The Monitor2USB is $139 US these days (Sweetwater). If it doesn't work for you it can be easily returned.

If I ever get bigger ideas about my monitoring needs I'll be looking at an Audient Nero...

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.