Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Modo, Adaptive etc....

Tagged: 

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Paul Motion.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Paul Motion
    Participant

Hi,

I'm saving to pick up one of the various drum programming plugins but have a few questions that I'm hoping to get help with.
      - What's the difference between something like Modo drummer and running a polyphonic sampler with multiple drum samples from something like Reason?
      - Which is the most recommended software for someone like me who only has a small midi keyboard and DAW. I only know of Modo & Adaptive. Are there others? Are they better?

Thanks so much everyone.. you rock!

Michel Villemaire
      Participant

Hey Paul,

It depends what your goals are. If you are basically looking for virtual drums and grooves that you can still tweak and customize for relatively easy song creation, go for a dedicated drums plugin. The popular choices are Addictive Drums 2 from xlnaudio and EZDrummer from Toontrack. There is an overview of both product on this page:

https://www.pianodreamers.com/best-drum-vst-plugins/

With these products, you can buy starter kits and build from there (purchase additional drum kits and midi groove packs as needed). I own both of these products. I have not tried Modo from IK Multimedia. It is more expensive than the other two but comes standard with more drum kits and very high sound tweaking capabilities.

Again, it depends what your goals are. Addictive Drums 2 is more tweakable than EZDrummer but you may not need that option.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND TRYING BEFORE BUYING ANY OF THESE PRODUCTS !!! Get a good feel for the products. And once your choice is made, be patient before buying. It is your hard earned money, after all. Usually, these product are on special a few times a year (black friday, christmas, start of summer, etc). You can check out their respective sites once in a while and you can also check out sites like KVRAudio and Plugin Boutique. Often (but not always, of course), when the products are on special on those hub sites, they are also on special on the products' official sites. Signing up for newsletters is also an option in order to keep yourself informed of deals and promotions.

(I am not affiliated in any way with any of the recommended products or web sites)

Hope this helps !

Regards,

Michel

Paul Motion
        Participant

That’s great, thanks Michel. I’ve always programmed my drums by hand for both remixing and writing so I’m trying to understand what these plugins give you that I don’t get already.
          For example, if I wrote a fairly standard kick sn, kick kick sn pattern would the program add grace notes to the snare here and there or add timing quirks for push & pull to give the pattern a more natural feel?
          Or vary the hits/have multiple samples based on velocity....
          I mean, I can do that stuff now but if some software can do it and do it well so I can go in and tweak things minimally afterwards then great! 🙂

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Michel Villemaire
          Participant

Any respectable plugins, including those mentioned, will have multiple samples based on velocity. Addictive Drums 2 and EZDrummer have some limited pattern tweaking (as opposed to strictly sonic), but you should consider MDrummer from MeldaProduction for what you seem to need.

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MDrummer

Watch the (#13 - Rhythm editor) and (#14 - Rhythm generator) tutorials. Tweaking and customization seem extensive. You may also be interested in the (#7 - Sample library import) tutorial. Let me know if that meets your needs.

MeldaProduction have 50% off sales every week on random products.

(I am not affiliated in any way with any of the recommended products or web sites)

Regards !

Michel

Paul Motion
            Participant

Magic! Thanks Michel.. I’ll check it out.
              Thanks for the advice ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.