Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Mobile Mixing (mixing on the go)

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Cris Sabater Sabater.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Musa Henderson
    Participant

ok so not mobile phone mixing

Hi, so my job involves weird hours with long breaks (not enough to go home on normally but like a 3 hour break is normal) so I am going to start taking my laptop around with me. I am installing pro tools and the plugins i use now and will somehow find a safe way to take my iLok around.
      My question is monitoring, I will use my headphones i use when at home, but what about convertors? Should i get a small focusrite (for example) that is bus powered and what experience have people have transferring a protools session from one system to another to carryon their work?
      P.S. I need to get it all into a backpack. I will be mainly doing editing and mix checking as i will still do the majority at home on my iMac. The only other thing i use the macbook for is location recording but for that i put flight cases in the car so i take my studio with me, can't do that for this.

Thanks for any suggestions and experiences

timmymac
      Participant

I spend 1.5 hours on a train everyday and used to have a MacBookAir that I used for editing. was a work computer ?
        don't have anymore but here's what I did. I used an external drive at home to transfer sessions to my mba and then always made sure I copied back at night. There's probably a better way to do this with a sync utility. I tried bringing along the external drive a few times but it drained my battery too fast. For monitoring I just used the mba headphone jack. I wasn't using for critical eqing, just editing, so this worked fine for me.
        I plan to get another laptop soon and also recently got a NAS which I'll use to autosync things nightly. Will let you know once I sort that out!

Cris Sabater Sabater
        Participant

Hi Musa,
          I don't have a laptop but thought of getting one for travelling around with. A good pair of as neutral headphones that you can get an external drive I use Seagate 3 TB ones and they work great and a Focusrite Scarlett either 2i2 or 2i4 and you will be in good shape!

Cheers mate,

Cris

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.