Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Mixing/panning a simple song

• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Joshua Rodrigue.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Rodrigue
    Participant

Hey everybody. I'm about to mix a song I have just recorded. The only instruments are acoustic guitar, voice, and possibly steel guitar. How would you all pan something with so few instruments, especially in regards to reverb and delay? The guitar is a mono track.

Thank you!

Josh.

Arthur Labus

Hi Joshua !

I personally always prefer nice, intriguig, wide panning. Obviously we dont have enough tracks for that.
        i can imagine two scenarios:

1. Vocal in center. Would use spatial delay/reverb which gives some wideness
        Guitars panned opposite, maybe not hard panned, lets say 70%. Reverb delay as send from both but 100% wet panned opposite, and lets say hard panned

2. Vocal in center. Delay in mono, reverb depends on overall situation, maybe even mono
        Acoustic guitar made to "stereo" - delay technique, perticular plugins, duplicating track and then move the similar parts to fake the second take.
        Steel guitar slightly panned / reverb opposite, not hard OR stereo widener plugin to make some room

What do you think ?

Joshua Rodrigue
        Participant

Those are great ideas! I was thinking of having guitars left and right, but I'll definitely try the reverb/delay hard panned too. I will play around with plugins too. Thanks!

Arthur Labus

I would recommend Voxengo Stereo Touch free plugin.
            https://www.voxengo.com/product/stereotouch/
            Its great for some uncomlicated wideness. I use it since years on almost all mixes and i use only the presets 😉

Ask anything when needed. I dont even mind if you would send me thatracks to give a try.

Joshua Rodrigue
            Participant

I have just downloaded the plug in you have suggested. I'll try ot out this afternoon. I appreciate that! I can put a link to the song here once I record the steel guitar part. Thanks.

Joshua Rodrigue
              Participant

Hi, sorry it's been a while but here is what I got so far on the song. I added a mandolin part too. I put the mandolin right 50 percent with mandolin reverb left around 50 percent and same with the steel guitar except it's left with the reverb right. That's for the verses where there is only the mandolin or steel guitar playing with the acoustic guitar. Now for the chorus I have the mandolin and mandolin reverb right and the steel guitar right and reverb left. Let me know what you think about the panning and the mix in general, thanks. Josh.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17XGhgj4bwxpdop0--UjUNHS3yUa3AoOH/view?usp=sharing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.