Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Mixing Advice

Tagged: , ,

• This topic has 10 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Jason Forgione.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jason Forgione
    Participant

Hi, Currently have Drums and Bass in the middle, Main Guitar Riffs Panned Left and Right, some layered guitars  and leads not panned hard but around  35-45 Left and Right. Guitars all going to a Guitar Bus. Mix sounds great through my Main Monitors and 2nd monitors as well as a BT Speaker. When played in the car, not so much. Not sure if the car test even works these days when streaming from phone to Cars BT but the mix just doesn't sound wide enough or the guitars don't seem stereo as I want them to be. Any advice?

I use Adobe Audition

Jay

Chris Kersey
      Participant

Jay, can you perhaps post a link to your mix? Some good ears on this site who would be able to point out anything they hear in your mix that might be causing your pain!

CK!!

Jason Forgione
        Participant

Hi Chris. I'll send a link Shortly. Thanks

Jason Forgione
          Participant

Here is the link....this is just a mixdown - no other mastering or EQ\effects added after the mixdown...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fKPP5yB7HAksi2otQbr73w9ZbNNpJi5o/view?usp=sharing

Thanks in Advance everyone.

Jay

Chris Kersey
            Participant

Hey Jay, I'm not familiar with Adobe Audition but to my ears (and I ran it past someone else - so to their ears too), your guitars do not sound panned to me. Perhaps try routing your guitars directly out to main instead of to your guitar buss to narrow down a potential issue with your guitar bus being the cause.

I did note that Audition has 3 types of audio buses, stereo being the one for you (betting).

Arthur Labus

Hi Jason,
                i second that what Chris said.
                It sounds not panned - at least the rhythm guitars.
                I would suggest to take a little break, cup of earl grey, and then trying to find where the heck panning went lost.
                First of all - how you got the two rhythm tracks ? Are they double tracked, pitched, moved, stolen (from other parts) ?
                I would also check for some special kind of plugins able to make mono signal from stereo input.
                Or even for som fancy knobs - for example, in Reaper there is "wide" knob and you can make everything affected into mono just by reseting to zero value.
                Let us know Jason.

Jason Forgione
                Participant

Thanks guys. I'll look into it. Besides the panning how's the rest sound?

Chris Kersey
                  Participant

Jason, composition wise I think it's a great piece of work. Mix wise, I'd like more oomph / separation from the bass guitar on that kick - the kick definition is there, but the only low end I'm feeling is coming from the bass guitar which occupies a lot of space down there. I'd try to bring out some of the lower frequencies of the kick, and carve out those same low frequencies from the bass guitar so the "punch" of the kick isn't hidden behind the bass guitar.

Your cymbals could come up - I'd almost like them to be more crisp as well as it seems like a lot of the highs on those are missing - no sizzle.

Relatively speaking, I'd pull the snare down maybe 2db? the kick low lows up, but the kick mids/down if that makes sense. The cymbals I'd bring up. The guitars are I think fine, but you wanna make sure all the instruments are perceivable and those cymbals are nearly not.

Are you using a reference track for your work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpdKI5bsAsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl7NRlwzS2g

Jason Forgione
                    Participant

Thanks, Chris. Awesome feed back. I'll make some adjustments.

I removed the link and will update once changes are made.

I didn't use a reference track. I should do that more for sure.

Arthur Labus

I second everything what Chris said. Again 😀

Jason Forgione
                        Participant

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XILAlW3wE45Atx2DAPqHGkQ1VrtBFrDs/view?usp=drivesdk

Updated mix. no final effects\mastering yet.

Thanks Again.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.