• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Jerritt Rhett.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Magnus Johansson
    Participant

Hello everybody, I want to tell you about a little experiment I recently did with a friend.

I and my friend sent each other a mix request, just as we were an artist or a producer looking for a mix engineer. I as an example got the request to return something First Aid Kit ish. No, the source was not that far away, just a bit more indie than First Aid Kit. We returned our mixes and got feedback to further work from. Like in real life.

So why did we do this.. Answer is, to get out of our comfort zone of choosing songs ourselves, set a deadline to a real person, get some real mixnotes. We are on our third round now, great fun. Also when posting a mix for critique on forums one reply could be do this and another reply do that. This way we get a request from one person and mixnotes from that same person.

We are thinking of involving a third person and when mixes are done then send the mix off to the other third person for mastering. Why would we want to to this you may ask, because... we're not there yet, we don't have those clients. Our clients wants everything done, cheap, and why not master each others small projects? Should be better than doing it ourselves, and we get to master stuff we didn't mix or haven't even heard before.

In short, Person A sends a mix request to person B. When person A think mix is done he/she send it off to person C for mastering. When person A is pleased with the master from person C game is done. All engineers who wants uploads the ready song on their social networks, portfolios and credits each other. You get it.

Sounds interesting? Here is bullet list of the workflow.

* The concept starts off with sending a mix request for a multitrack of our choosing.
      * After receiving a mix request we are given the option to accept or decline for whatever reason, just as in real life. Some examples for decline, multitrack already mixed and done, not a genre I would accept in real life, don´t want to, too busy right now.
      * If we accept the mix request we reply with a deadline date when a ready for client mix will be sent.
      * After mix is received, feedback is returned until mix is ready. Feedback could be whatever, one feedback note I sent was.. keep all communications regarding this particular song in one thread. (Guess who accidently broke this feedback himself two days later.)
      * Send mix off to mastering. Maybe your initial request was mix & master? Next song.

So... I was thinking, wouldn't this be a fun game for the Academy? It doesn't have to be a closed circle of three persons but we could all just send mix and master requests to each other and also take the mastering of the done mix to whomever but, we don't want to receive a bunch of requests if we don´t like this idea so my suggestion is...

* Post in this thread if you want in the game of mix and master requests.
      * Also, remove your post if you don't like more requests. Edit: as we are not able to remove our replies we just has to edit them.
      * When replying yes, include a date when mix or master is to be delivered.
      * Keep this thread clean with just the ins and edited outs. We now have pm, use that for requests, or a new thread if you want it public, or email, whatever.

You could also take it to yet another level and upon sending mix request also provide a by you mixed rough mix. Maybe even your own material.

So, who is in?

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by Magnus Johansson.
      Magnus Johansson
      Participant

I start off by saying... I´m in but I will be leaving a long/late deadline, Very busy atm.

Matt Glista
        Participant

I'm in! Sounds like a great idea, since an extra set of ears always helps.

Jerritt Rhett
          Participant

Im in! This could be great practice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.