Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DAWs Studio One Mix made in Studio One 3.2_using console shaper

• This topic has 15 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Len Baird.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Cris Sabater Sabater
    Participant

Hi guys,
      this is a mix I made using the new Studio One 3.2 upgrade and my first with console shaper. Please let me know what you think. I come from the digital world so for me this is a jump into the dark.

Cheers guys,

Cris

https://soundcloud.com/crescent-moon-studio/plap-production-1

Lee Hawkins
      Participant

Hi Cris. I've also mixed a track using Studio One 3.2 Console and as I am from the analog era it's a really interesting concept to me. The fact that PreSonus have opened up the pristine audio engine to third party developers is a major step forward.

I have do lots of A/B tests and find the low and mids sound great and the highs get as pleasant roll off reducing any digital harshness.

The fact you can now drive into the red and get analog distortion without digitally clipping is mind boggling. The art with an analog desk is to find the sweet spot when pushing it. This behaves in the same way. I tend to push and then back of slightly to get the best results.

Mix sounds great Cris. I tend not to use too much crosstalk as when pushed can induce some unwanted phasing. Keep the noise minimal too and primarily use the drive...

Exciting times mate......

Cris Sabater Sabater
        Participant

Hi Lee, thankyou very much for the great information you have given me! I will now go forward with this knowledge and try to keep what you have said in mind. It does sound great to me and seems to open up music more! I tend to leave all the settings as they are on the console shaper and just push the channels until I find the sweet spot. Should I cut the crosstalk more than the default amount? I leave the noise off. Thanks for the compliment mate that will give me encouragement in moving forward coming from a professional like yourself! I agree very exciting times and I could not be happier with Studio One!

Cheers mate,

Cris

Lee Hawkins
          Participant

Cris, Default amount on cross talk seems to work OK. Pushing it can be problematic with phasing.

Haha, yeah I leave noise off too. If I use a tape emulation I find that does the necessary.

Cris Sabater Sabater
            Participant

Hi Lee, thanks mate, I will carry on what I have been doing then. Yes I always use a tape emulation on the stereo bus to smooth off the high end and give the mix some weight. I actually mix into several plugins from the start of every mix that I have on another bus before the stereo bus. Seems to work for me.

Cheers mate,

Cris

Lee Hawkins
              Participant

Cris,

I love this even more every day.. LOL

Tim Morris
                Participant

Hi Folks, Been using S1 for a while now, but just joined PLAP.

crosstalk is indeed an odd parameter...!

Warren Huart
                  Keymaster

Thanks for posting! I am hearing so much great stuff about Studio One! I still haven't used it! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Tim Morris
                    Participant

Come on Warren !....We need you on Studio One !

Cris Sabater Sabater
                      Participant

Don't worry guys, Warren will see the light! It takes time but so many Artists, Producers and Mixers have jumped over to Studio One I think Warren will do it just out of interest to see what all the fuss is about especially as Presonus seem to have been going after the ProTools mob. 🙂

Lee Hawkins
                        Participant

Lots of people are seeing the light. 😉

pille
                          Participant

Great thread. I just finished my very first mix on Studio One, also using the Console shaper. It's a local artist, Micael Lilja, album to be released within a week or so I beleive. I really enjoy working with Studio one and the console shaper. Here is a youtube clip of one of the songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4bezBK6f5E

// Per

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 16 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.