Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Microphone Splitters

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by ChrisW.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ChrisW
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I'm recording a concert for a friend soon and was wondering if anyone had experience using microphone splitters, and maybe any recommendations for units. I was looking at one by ART but I don't know a lot about this type of gear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Chris

Magnus Johansson
      Participant

Back in the day I looked at those units. They were all pretty expensive. It ended with that I bought a cheap patchbay and modded it, worked like a charm and added a great feature to the recorder splitter. It worked like.. connected each channel insert to the modded patchbay, there it got splitted to recorder and to front of bay. There in front of the bay I could also insert without annoying insertcables whatever that channel needed, gate/comp. Feed to recorder was pre this bayed insert in and out points.

Nowadays I have a behringer x32 and dont use this anymore.

ChrisW
        Participant

Thanks Magnus,

Sounds like an interesting solution. I'm hoping the venue has a console with channel outputs like the x32 but looking for alternatives just in case. I'm meeting with the bandleader and talking to the live sound guy tomorrow.

Are the signals from the outputs of the x32 prefader?

Magnus Johansson
          Participant

The signal from the x32 is digital, standard usb connector and carries up to 32 channels. Pre everything, only post pre-amp. You can probably do the same thing with most if not all modern digital mixers.

Back in the day... I used a Behringer ?8000 (Mackie 8-bus clone) and a Mackie SDR24/96 harddisk recorder.

ChrisW
            Participant

Ah ok, I thought I saw it had XLR out as well. I wonder if the venue would let me plug my laptop into the board directly and get a feed that way. I guess it's another possibility to ask them about.

Thanks again

Javier Alejandro Llamas
              Participant

I used the behringer 8000 all the time. Well, i used to, because with this coronavirus i don't know for how long i won't be able to record another concert :-(.

No hiss or stranges noises, no complains at all. Really really cheap. I think Behringer is one of those brands people love and hate, but i think i know why, they either have terrible product or great cheap ones. And the behringer 8000 is one of those great products (of course, as with anything, you can get a defective item, but it's like with any other brand). You will get what you need, splitting the signal and also get a phantom power pass though.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Javier Alejandro Llamas.
                ChrisW
                Participant

Cool. The gig that I was hired to do this for was postponed too. Hopefully it all clears up soon.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.