Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mastering Adam Ayan Q&A Mastering for SoundCloud

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Adam Ayan.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Magnus Johansson
    Participant

Hi Adam

Mastering for SoundCloud. SoundCloud use a pretty low lossy bitrate. Any tips when working with such low bitrate output files? What I have found so far on the net is to 1:Leave a bit headroom for the encoder to work with and 2:narrowing the super highs. Anything else we can do to have our audio as unaltered as possible from services like SoundCloud?

Edit: Number 3. Always upload lossless. SoundCloud always encode what it´s being fed. So uploading a mp3 will result in a double encoded mp3.

tblizz
      Participant

Here's a YouTube video from 3 years ago that also touches on this topic:

"I want every advantage I can get in this game" - Tony Maserati

Adam Ayan
        Participant

Hi Mange,

Totally agreed - lowering the level into the lossy encoder is going to help,and always upload lossless if Soundcloud, or any other digital distributor, is doing the encode. I'm not sure that I agree with narrowing the super highs - I haven't seen the to be a useful strategy at this point.

To add to that, if the digital distributor will accept 24 bit files be sure to provide them. I have found that encoding from 24 bit yields a better result every time. My hope is that all digital distributors will accept 24 bit in the future. Unfortunately that is not the case at the moment.

Best,
          Adam

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.