• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by John Brandt.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Connor
    Keymaster

Acoustician and studio designer, John Brandt will be answering posts in this forum from March 7-11

Post your questions as a new topic in this forum here

• This topic was modified 8 years ago by Connor.
      • This topic was modified 8 years ago by Connor.
      Chewie
      Participant

Hi John & Warren,

I am planning to build a small multi use studio for rehearsing, recording, and mixing. The space I have available is roughly 25'x17'. Two of the walls are parallel (the longest sides) and built as part of the existing structure. I will be building the other 2 adjacent walls. In those walls I would need a door and potentially a window but if this is hard to construct I could omit it.
        So my question would be the wall system, what would cut the most dbs, a 2x6 single wall with sound insulation from the home store plus drywall or similar material, or 2 - 2x4 walls with a space between them? I am looking for the most economical way of achieving the cost to db cut ratio (if that makes sense).
        I also have the option of making a trapezoid at the sacrifice of some space. Would this be better? What would be the ideal way for a door system?

Sorry that's a lot of questions! Thanks in advance.

Andy.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Chewie.
        Rich Westphal
        Participant

Edited ,,, and moved to the correct forum,,,

Connor
          Keymaster

Hi all,

Sorry for the confusion, I think it will be easier for John if you post a new Topic for each question in the forum

You can click here and then at the bottom make a new topic for your questions

Rich Westphal
            Participant

Thank you Conner 😀 ,,, I agree !!! lol

John Brandt
              Participant

Chewie,

A decoupled wall will always out-perform a single wall system for sound-proofing purposes.

It's best to determine precisely what you need because more isolation = more cost. There is no 'one-size-fits-all' when it comes to studio isolation.

Kindly go to my resources page and download "How To Find How Much Isolation You Need". I think that will answer all of your questions. To find out how well certain wall systems perform, you can also download the 'ir761' which shows all the testing data for many types of frame walls.
                Cheers,
                John

John Brandt
                Participant

Guys,

Is this the last day? If so, ask me! I check in here every morning and evening.

Cheers!
                  John

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.