Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Studio Building / Acoustics John Brandt: Acoustics & Studio Design Q&A Main audio interface: RME Fireface 400 or stick with my MOTU 8pre?

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by John Brandt.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brian for President
    Participant

Hi John, how are you?

I don't know if this is the type of question you were looking for, but I am actually considering getting an RME Fireface 400 for my primary audio interface vs my current MOTU 8pre. My MOTU occasionally has either driver or hardware issues and must be left off for a while before it successfully resets. LOL I've heard nothing but good things about the Fireface line, and was wondering if you thought $550 used for a Fireface 400 was a) a good price, and b) a good option for my primary interface?

NOTE: MY "studio" is quite simple. I have a KORG M3 as my MIDI keyboard/controller, the MOTU 8Pre as my main audio interface, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, and MASCHINE as my main hardware/software-paired DAW (Ableton too, but I usually just stay in MASCHINE since it's a much more rapid workflow for me -- on average 1 new track of all genres every 6 days since 2011).

For VSTs, it's primarily Native Instruments (KOMPLETE 10 Ultimate, many/most of the MASCHINE expansions), plus a couple synths from Heavyocity and Output (REV & SIGNAL).

As you can see, I do do/need a lot of live I/O, just good DACs and low latency.

Your feedback is appreciated. Thanks John!

-Brian-

• This topic was modified 8 years ago by Brian for President.
      John Brandt
      Participant

Brian,

As far as I know RME has been making some very good products. If it has lower latency than what you're using and you like the way it sounds, Go For it!

There is quite a bit of discussion on what sounds better, etc., etc., etc., when it comes to digital conversion. I'll say this: If the semiconductors used are low noise and meet the spec of the converter, it's usually great. Newer tech will usually be lower distortion and noise.

Cheers,
        John

Brian for President
        Participant

Awesome, thanks for the reply, John! I appreciate it!

Also, your website has some stunning studio setup images. Nice work!

Cheers!

-Brian-

John Brandt
          Participant

Brian,

Thanks so much!
            Cheers,
            John

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.