Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Pro Mix Academy Amanda Hardy - "Love Me I'm Rich" Love Me I'm Rich - Patrick's mix

• This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Patrick Schindler.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Schindler
    Participant

Hi guys and gals,

I finally managed to finish this mix. A cool song and fun to mix, but challenging in a way and I'm not quite sure why. One thing I battled with was getting some more room out of the overheads without them ending up sounding way to offensive. I ended up using a de-esser and a dynamic EQ on those. For now I'm pretty happy with the sound of the mix, but that could change in the next couple of days.

https://www.orfium.com/track/507456/amanda-hardy-love-me-im-rich-cyler/

Got some troubles with the sharing business. Just pasting the link does not seem to work...

• This topic was modified 7 years ago by Patrick Schindler.
      Patrick Schindler
      Participant

Hi everyone,

I had another stab at this track, trying a few different techniques as well as newly acquired plugins, like iZotope's Neutron. I especially like the EQ's learn function to quickly find ugly frequencies and the masking meter. On the overhead front, I ended up multing it, then compressed the schnitzel out of the parallel track and gated it to one of the snare samples. Pretty happy how that came out.

https://www.orfium.com/track/507456/amanda-hardy-love-me-im-rich-cyler/

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Patrick Schindler. Reason: Link updated
        Korbinian Breu
        Participant

Hey Pat sorry but at least for me both links dont seem 2 work. For some reason I am getting nothing on soundcloud. Would like to reply but.. yeah! =)

Maybe you still have the version? I am really interested as I mexed this myself and had some troubles..

Patrick Schindler
          Participant

Hey Korbi,

I did delete the older mix from Soundcloud and did not upload a new version, why the track on Orfium has disappeared beats me. Right now I do not have access to the mix, but will upload again this weekend and leave a message in this thread.

Johnny Fuller
            Participant

Hi Pat,
              I saw this tip in Tape Op years ago. If the recording doesn't have or has poor room tracks, find a big room (a Church or garage) and set up a speaker and a mike (or two) and play the drum tracks through the speakers and record it with the mikes in the room. Blamo, room tracks!

Patrick Schindler
              Participant
                Patrick Schindler
                Participant

Cool idea! The lazy version of that could be using a convolution reverb and impulse responses.

Korbinian Breu
                  Participant

thx for the upload bro! =)

Korbinian Breu
                    Participant

And I liked the Mix the first second I listened to it - its so groovy because you timed the tremolo on the guitar, didnt you? Drums sound huge and groovy and dirty which is nice. Just to much distortion for my taste but I am not the rock guy, so... But yeah, cool Mix!! =)

terje_t
                      Participant

Wow! I really like the 8ths pulse in the bass at the start. Great touch. Cool bass sound in general too, you've kept it cleanish which I think works pretty good and I like the tone you've brought out.

Maybe the verse and pre-chorus/chorus could have a touch more contrast?

Your snare seems to smash its world to bits. Great effect 😀

I think I prefer a more effected vocal but that is just taste and it sounds good like this too.

Great work!

Patrick Schindler
                        Participant

Thanks for the feedback guys, just seen it now!

I thought that tremolo in Warrens mix did add a cool whacky vibe to the track, but it did not bring the energy I wanted. The effect is simply modulating the volume knob of a gain tool with an LFO doing an 8th pulse.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.