• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Adam Ayan.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Johnny Sommerer
    Participant

Hi Adam,

thanks for pitching in, great opportunity!
      I "master" my own mixes and I'm pretty consent with the results soundwise, but there are (almost) always some db RMS missing, especially when i compare it to the latest Coldplay album for instance, where the waveform of every track looks like a thick black line, but it still sounds great. when I use something like that as a reference track and level match my production it sounds completely squashed and plainly bad. Of course I don't have the room and no expensive outboard gear (yet ;-), but it should be possible to get at least a little closer concerning loudness. my chain I use mostly at the moment is: Slate VCC, Custom EQ, Eiosis Air EQ, FG-Grey, FG-X and sometimes IK Multimedia Stealth Limiter additionally, which works fine in the verses, but when the bassdrum in the chorus kicks in ... ugh. Do you have any hints on achieving that, or what i should take a look at more?
      thanks and cheers,

Johnny

Adam Ayan
      Participant

Hi Johnny,

Yes, getting good level while retaining musicality - it is not easy!!

Here is a tip - do not be afraid to treat different sections of the song differently. In other words, if you are getting great level in the Verses, but as you mentioned the Chorus kicks in and you have problems, then maybe you'll have to treat the Choruses differently.

Also the real big secret - getting it all right in the mix!!

I do not mean that as a disrespect (I realize you mix and master), but I mention it because I am willing to bet that going back to the mix will make the bigger difference vs. anything that you can do in mastering. I find every mix has a loudness potential, so to speak. Some mixes can take more level with less diminishing returns than others can. Take it back a step and refine, and my guess is you'll get further along.

Hope this helps!
        Adam

Johnny Sommerer
        Participant

Hi adam,

Thanks a lot, i already suspected that my problem area lies in the mix, but it's always good to hear stuff from someone like you! Great tip to treat specific parts differently, never tried that before!
          Thanks again and keep up the good work (like on the incubus tracks)

Cheers,
          Johnny

Adam Ayan
          Participant

You're welcome Johnny. Thank you for the kind words!

Best,
            Adam

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.