Academy Dashboard Forum Production Recording Techniques Live Bands - small bars - challenges

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Mark McDaniel.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    face (chris) Janton
    Participant

https://soundcloud.com/chris-janton/one-way-track

I have been re-visiting my live recordings of my boys. This is a "simple" 8 track recording live from 2016. I re-listened as I was spouting "mono mixing rules" things.

Gee, I might be able to get some ideas from folks here about how to do this!

No one running the board - it's on stage and inaccessible. I should find the 2-track and try and post that.

Gauthier
      Participant

Hi Chris,

Good music.
        what are you trying to do with your recording?
        Do you want to re-mix it while listening in mono?

Best,

GG.

face (chris) Janton
        Participant

What I am doing with tracks like "One Way Track" is to comb through about 300 sets, 180+ different tunes, and create a "Live from The Boondocks" set of CDs 😉 All of the mixes I currently have are "rough". The goal is to get an extended set that "plays like a live set" that will work on a phone speaker, and listening on a home stereo. Not too wide, but make it sound like you're in the bar.

I will be doing the bulk of the mixing in mono, then making gentle adjustments to the instruments to spread them out across the soundstage. Not too wide.

I think I posted in a different thread offering to provide some multi-tracks to folks who might want to poke around with "the tapes". Certainly a different working set than we get from studio recordings.

Gauthier
          Participant

Hi,

That's a nice project. I think you've done a pretty good job at mixing it so far.
            You will probably just need the help of a mastering engineer (red book).

Cheers,

Gauthier.G

face (chris) Janton
            Participant

Thanks. I did choose one of the better "rough" mixes 😉 I absolutely intend to bring in an experienced mastering engineer, probably before the thing is completely built. My plan would be to get one track mastered. Mix the next track using experience gained from first track. Get second track mastered with the intention of having track 1 and track 2 be as close as possible to the "same room on the same night". Mix the third with advice from the first two.

By then I would hope to have solved problems of balance, room, etc.

I agree. It will be fun. I am curious to know how many PBRs I have to consume to "hear" the band as recorded live 😉

Gauthier
              Participant

Great, then the next step will be to hire a nice venue (one with a nice curtain and lighting rig) and do a video shoot with the musician on stage playing in sync with the recording.

A videoclip of a couple of songs is just a great memory.

If you could find a video producer with a few good DLSRs (canon mark 4) and GOpro (like a student willing to build his/her portfolio -cheaper) that would be great.

Basically you play the track two or three times from beginning to end with three DLSR cameras (or proper camcorders if budget allow) and you end up with 9 different cameras angles for your song.

In addition, you can re-record the lead vocal in studio and replace the original live version with it. It's not uncommon practice.

A lot of fun!
                Cheers,

Gauthier.G

face (chris) Janton
                Participant

the current plan is to get the band to just come down to WaveLab (they now have all the video goodness - CreativeTucson.org) and get them to enjoy themselves for 2-3 hours. Record the whole thing through Craig's Daking board and many nice tools. Maybe get a 4 tune set in the studio. A much nicer place to record.

Reality is I would rather just get them to come to the studio and do a 4-6 song set, feed the groupies, party like it's 1979. Might get better performances.

Magnus Johansson
                  Participant

I think it sounds great. Would be fun if we here in the academy could take a stab at mixing one to three of those songs.

Mark McDaniel
                    Participant

I know this is a long dead thread but wanted to share what Neutron 3 did for your track.  I use Neutron 3 to clean up old live recording.  It's fast with great results, in my opinion.  Cheers!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-IwK56v1PQL7gCY3qj1gJSpf_QyLZhpt/view?usp=sharing

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.