Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Academy Lesson Suggestions Label sends you a project at 96

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Arthur Labus.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    chris massa
    Participant

A indie label sent me 32 tracks at 96 and wants it handled at 96 for the finished 2 track. At summer NAMM F. Reid Shippen was on a panel with Howard Willing, but I could not get a more detailed answer on how to do this. I am totally ITB. 6 core Mac Pro 3.33gHz. The panel cautioned rate conversion as it shows up in the "header" of the file and the label will know. Seems they run into this on occasion. If I am at 50% 48/24 at 85-100 tracks, adding/dupping tracks, all plugins, 96 seems like I will have computer issues running out of CPU. I can now freeze tracks in Pro Tools so that can help.

Andrew Mckenzie
      Participant

And I thought everyone just wanted great sounding tracks? Would the label really be upset if you mixed a great song at 48?
        I went back to mixing at 44.1/24 having tried 48 and 96, my older ears can't tell the difference. 🙂

chris massa
        Participant

I'm going to have to ask why they want them at 96. I don't think our setup can handle this and my partner thinks we should pass. I thought maybe we could go down to 48 then convert back up. Should have been more attentive and bull dog like when this was brought up. Maybe Warren has some insight into why and how.

chris massa
          Participant

Well, it pays to call. Turns out the Indie label has no idea who stated the 2 track mix should be at 96. Two more phone calls and first time recording band was told by a friend they needed to record at 96. Of course they could barely play back the song with their equipment so my partner being enterprising (with too many contacts, lol) volunteered to solve their problem. So we will be converting this song down to 48/24 and the band will continue to record at 48/24.

Happy ending for everyone and perhaps we will get to mix more songs.

Arthur Labus

Oh man. It was a trap ! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.