Academy Dashboard Forum Production Recording Techniques JAZZ session on Monday, need some ideas...

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Matt Graham.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matt Graham
    Participant

Jazz trio, drums, bass, piano. Will be recording with my mobile rig in a room with 8'ceiling approx 14' X 18'.

MICS: 2 Focusrite MP8r's for 16 channels so I'm covered there. Mics I have to choose from my locker are 2 u87s, 3 - C414 BULS mics, 2 Sennheiser 421's, 1 Royer 121 ,6 SM57s, 1 SM7b, AKD D112, AEA R84, Apex 325.

So for the drums I thought U87s XY, Royer121 Ride, R84 out front in phase with overheads for a mono picture. No close mic on any of the drums. I expect the overall picture will come from the u87s.

I'm a rock guy, straight up. TOTALLY Guessing here, any advice for me?

Cheers gang!

Matty

Matt Graham
      Participant

Or maybe R84 MONO above the drummer, U87s as room mics if the room sounds decent. I forgot to say that set up time is restricted and I won't have a lot of time to experiment.

Joerg Stagge
        Participant

for Kick a D112 for snare 2 sm57 to booto phased , toms sennheiser overheads 3 direction to snare all same length u87 front of drum 1m a 414s for bass di box and live mic a d112 piano 414XLii or u87 center middle

Matt Graham
          Participant

Yeah for the drums its a bit too ROCK for me. I'm trying to record a relaxed open sound. The piano is electric. The bass is a 5 string electric.

Matt Graham
            Participant

So it went well in terms of micing and what I captured.
              Tamara wanted to record her session with the trio then track vocals after the guys left. She is seated at my “control room” using my talk back mic as a scratch vocal while they recorded their sections. Later she sang along live to the prerecorded material for a quick video shoot for her to eventually use on her website. She and the Trio both want to use the session for self promotion. I am doing this work for her for free. The trio enjoyed their experience and want to hire me to record a live show!!! I’m pretty stoked!!

Currently in the process of setting up a skype session with warren to go over the raw audio tracks Inhave and develop a plan of attack. Also, our good friend at PLAP, Lem, is helping me out behind the scenes. Can’t wait to get this out to you all for critique. Being a rock guy at heart, this is challenging. I have started listening to Bill Evans material for some reference and to get my ears tuned to what the guys are after. Wish me luck!!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.